Dinner

Not too long after The Final Problem

Sherlock was sat in the same chair he always was as he looked over at Rosie. "This is your fault Rosie, if you just didn't throw your toy I would let you keep it" he said in his normal voice. She stared on, clueless as she sat on her fathers chair. "Sherlock, I'm back, I hope you haven't hidden her toy again" Watson called up from the hall. "Ok Rosie here" he said before pulling it from behind his chair.

Watson walked in to see the two. "You really don't understand children do you?" He said as he put a shopping bag on the table. "Well maybe if she stopped throwing her stuff around I wouldn't keep taking it" Sherlock said as he stood up. John gave a small chuckle. "I still don't believe you, I'm sure that somewhere in there you have a fatherly side" he said placing a hand on his shoulder. "I would hope not considering that I am not her father" he replied quickly. There was a short pause and then they heard the rattle thump on the ground again.

John still thought about his father and how he had reacted to hearing about his sister's sexuality. He had gotten so used to denying that he was gay. He wasn't, he knew that he loved Mary with all his heart but she wasn't the only one. "John I was on the phone to Molly and she said that she can take care of Rosie tonight" Sherlock said as he broke the silence that John was no longer aware of. "I was wondering if you wanted to go out" he asked. "That sounds great Sherlock, where do you suggest?" John asked back. "A surprise" Sherlock said and gave one of his short lasting smirks.

They waited for Molly to arrive in different ways. Sherlock stood at the wall where he kept information about his latest case, no doubt think up the solution while John sat over with Rosie making sure she was asleep. The bell rang and Mrs Hudson let Molly in. "Hey guys, what's the occasion" she asked as she walked into the little flat. John gave a quick look at the baby and Molly nodded. "Oh we don't have an occasion" he whispered back. "Actually there is an occasion" Sherlock cut in surprisingly agreeing to whisper. "It's been exactly four years hasn't it?" John asked. "Sorry we don't want to be late" Sherlock said and rushed to the door. "Did he actually say sorry!" Molly asked. "Thank you for watching Rosie with such short notice" John said before walking after him.

They walked into the restaurant and sat down by the window. "I knew I recognised this place" John said as he looked around. "Yes John this is the first restaurant we went to together, the first case we went on as a team" Sherlock explained. "It's been exactly four years since that day" he added calmly. "I thought you said sentiment was a weakness" John replied quickly. Sherlock looked at him for a few moments and let out a sigh. "Well sometimes I'm wrong" Sherlock said defeated. "So much has changed over the last few years, I don't think I can remember a normal life now" John said. "I don't think I can remember my life without you" Sherlock replied. "Well I don't want to remember my life without you" John said back. Just then the waiter walked over with a candle and placed it on the table. "What would you like to order?" She asked.

John stared at the candle and opened his mouth as if to say something. "Thank you I'll have the pasta puttanesca" Sherlock ordered and John just said "oh...I'll have what he's having". "You didn't do what you normally do" Sherlock said after the waiter left. "What?" John asked. "Denying that you're gay, but you didn't do that this time" he said the same way he did when he deduced things. "Well I'm not gay, I'm actually bisexual" he said honestly. The waiter came back and put the food gently down on the table. "Thank you" they said in unison. The waiter gave them a smile and walked away.

They were finishing their meal and John had something on his mind. "The first time we were here I asked you if you had a girlfriend and you said that wasn't your area then I asked if you had a boyfriend and you said no" John started "you don't have to answer if you don't want to but, well Sherlock, are you gay?". "Yes" he quickly replied before taking a drink of water. "Ok" John mumbled. "Did you say something?" Sherlock questioned. "No I'm fine just.. it's all good" he responded and gave a smile. "Can we please have the cheque" he then asked the waiter as she walked by.

Later as they walked back to the small flat, they continued to talk but now were on a new subject. "I'm glad you talked to molly, she deserved context" John said happily almost like a proud parent. "Speaking of well.....all that Euros has decided to say her first word since then" Sherlock told John as he couldn't help a soft smile from appearing on his face. "She isn't exactly having conversations yet but it's a start" he hastily added. "That's wonderful, you're still playing the violin whenever you go there?" John asked. This news was great for them both. Ever since everything that had happened no one could get her to react to anything or say anything, that was until Sherlock played his violin for her. John hadn't been too pleased with his first time meeting her but still knew how important it was to the Holmes brothers.

Just as they reached the door of 221B Baker Street Sherlock stoped. "John, back when I was leaving on the jet before Rosie was born I wanted to say something" he began "I couldn't bring myself to tell you because it would have only made things worse so I made a joke instead". "I remember Sherlock, you sounded so serious and then said Sherlock was a girl's name" he said chuckling a bit as he remembered. "That's because I was going to say something serious but changed my mind, I want to tell what I was about to say that day but couldn't" Sherlock said standing close to John. Just as he opened his mouth once more to speak he felt a cold droplet on head, then another, then hundreds more. "Best get inside, don't really feel like getting soaked today" John said reaching for the door. "Yes of course, my thing can, wait" Sherlock said following on behind him.