Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Oh my cod Vic! She looks just like you!!!" An inkling with faded pink tentacles exclaimed.

A female Octoling with short blue tentacles smiled and gently stroked the baby's cheek. "She really does, doesn't she?"

"What's her name?" The inkling asked.

"Marina. I named her after my grandmother." Vic replied. Then she looks around. "Hey Rose, Where's Pearl? I want her to meet Marina."

"She's up in her room. I'll go get her. Make yourself at home!" Rose said, walking up stairs.

Vic takes a seat on one of the giant couches and waits patiently
Several minutes later, she heard tiny feet, making their way downstairs.

"Ms.Ida!"

A small female inkling, with white/pink tentacles came running towards her. Her golden eyes shinning with excitement as she notices the small child in the older Octoling's arms.

"Hello Pearl. How are you today?" Vic asked, giggling at her excitement.

"It was gweat! I went to the park with Daddy!" Pearl replied. She looks at the baby Octoling. "Who's that?"

"This is my daughter Marina. Would you like to see her?" Vic asked.

"Yeah!" Pearl took a seat next to Vic and looked at the child. "Whoa, she's really pwetty. Kinda looks like you!"

Marina opens her eyes and looks around her surroundings. Her pink/teal eyes land on Pearl and she reaches her hand out to her.

"Looks like she wants you to hold her." Vic said.

Pearl's eyes flashed with worry. "But what if I drop her?"

"You won't. Here I'll help you."

Vic gently placed Marina in the Inkling's arms, placing her arm underneath Marina's head for support and her other arm to hold her body.

Marina giggled and touched Pearl's face. Pearl smiled widely.

Rose came into the room. "Pearl, what did I say about- Oh my cod!!" She squealed.

Vic stood up with Rose to admire the two. "They're so cute!"

Pearl held Marina's tiny hand with her own. "Hi, I'm Pearl. We're gonna be the bestest of friends!"
---------------------------------------------------------
9 years later

"Pearl! Where were you?!" Marina ran towards the 12 year old.

Pearl stood there, looking at the floor, not saying a word. Marina frowned and stepped closer. "Pearlie?"

That was a nickname that Marina gave Pearl a couple years ago. Pearl loves it but tries to deny it.

Pearl looks up. "Oh hey Rina! Sorry about that! I'm sorta out of it today."

Marina continued to frown. She may be a 9 year old, but she's pretty smart. Pearl was holding her right arm pretty close to her body.

Oh no...

"Pearl, what happened?!" Marina gently took her arm in her own. Now that it wasn't pressed against the Inkling's body, she can see what happened.

"Nothing. I just....fell" Pearl jerked her arm away from Marina's grasp.

No...it's always the same excuse for different injuries....

"Please don't lie to me... Who did this to you?" Marina said, placing her hand on her shoulder.

Pearl sighed. "You're too smart for your age Rina... It was Abigail. She started calling me stuff and I ran but, she caught up and pushed me down the hill."

The Octoling went quiet as she processed this new information.

"Rina?"

"Where is she?! No one hurts my best friend and gets away with it!" Marina growled.

"Hey it's alright! I'm fine see?" Pearl said, holding up her injured arm. "I just need band-aids. Besides I'm suppose to be the one to beat up the people who mess with you!"

Marina wrapped her arms around the older Inkling's mid section. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Cause it wasn't a big deal ya dork." Pearl returned the hug. "Now let's get outta here yeah?"

"Ok."

Even though they had released their hug, Pearl left her arm, draped over her friend's shoulder as they began to head home.

"Hey Pearl?" Marina called out, looking up at the slightly taller inkling.

"What's up?"

"I heard my mom arguing on the phone with someone the other day. She was saying stuff like "She is not living with you" I don't know who she's talking about." Marina replied.

"I'm sure it's nothing. She's probably talking about a friend of hers or something." Pearl shrugged.

"What if it's about me? What if I'm going away?" Marina wondered, frowning.

Pearl looked at the Octoling in disbelief. "What? Heck no! Don't even think about that!" She exclaimed.

"But-"

"Nope! You ain't going anywhere Mar! Not on my watch!" Pearl cut her off.

"I don't know Pearlie... But I'll try not to think about that."

"Good."

They round the corner and see Pearl's huge house. "Hey your mom is here! Come on!" Pearl exclaimed, taking off.

Marina blinked before sprinting after her. "W-Wait for me!"