10

"H-Holy shit. I still can't... I still can't believe you're really here. Holy cod!" Pearl exclaimed, pretty much jumping up and down in front of the young Octoling.

Marina giggled. "I can't believe I'm here as well. Maybe this accident was a good thing..."

Pearl stopped jumping at the last sentence and looked at her bandaged eyes. "What happened anyway? With your eyes and hand I mean. If you don't mind me askin'"

Marina took a deep breath. " It's kinda a long story so I'll shorten it down. In the military, I made stuff. The last thing I made kinda blew up in my face and left me temporary blind for a bit. It's been 2 weeks."

Pearl's golden eyes fills with concern. "You'll be able to see soon right? How did- wait how are you here actually?"

Marina was about to speak but then a voice interrupted her. "Pearl? Vic? What's going on?"

Pearl's face lit up. "Yo mom! Look who's here!"

Rose walks into the room, apron on and covered in a little powder. She looks at Marina. "Who's this young lady?"

"Uh Hi Mrs. Houzuki! " Marina said, smiling. "It's been a while."

Rose raised an eyebrow before looking at Pearl and Vic, who had giant smiles and slightly red eyes. Rose then looks at Marina and gasps. "Marina?! Oh my cod!"

She pulled the Octoling down into a tight embrace. "You're really here! I'm so glad!" Rose sniffles. "How are you here?! It's been so long!"

Marina chuckles. "It's a really long story."

Rose released the Octoling and pulled her to the sofa. "Well the cake won't be ready until later so we got time."

"Alright then." Marina sat down.

Pearl sat right next to the Octoling, pretty close to where she was almost leaning aganist Marina. When she realized what she was doing she scooted a little bit away to give her space. Marina shook her head and pulled Pearl closer and kept her arm around her shoulder.

Pearl looked at the Octoling, who just smiled.

"So here's how it all happened..."
================================

"Wow so he wasn't a bad guy?" Rose asked.

"Nope. He cared about everyone. Including those outside the branch. He just needed to have a powerful image that shows just how powerful he is, if that makes sense." Marina said.

"You're staying right?Like permanently?" Pearl asked.

Marina looked to where Pearl's voice was. "Yep. I'm not going anywhere no time soon."

Pearl smiled and threw her arms around Marina's neck. "Good. Cause it'll suck if you just came and left."

Marina smiles. "Yeah it would." Then Marina remembered something. She hugged the inkling, who yelped in surprise. "Happy birthday, Pearlie!"

Pearl raised her eyebrows. "Holy carp, you remembered?!"

"Not the day exactly but I had a feeling it was somewhere this week. And Mom did say it was before we walked in." Marina said.

Vic looked at the clock and turned to Rose. "We better check on the cake and stuff. Should be done by now." She said as she stood up.

Rose nodded and stood up as well. "You're right. I want to make sure I don't burn it this time." She giggled. Then she looked at Marina. "It was so great to see you again Marina! This is your home too so you can do as you please. Matter of fact, you can rest in one of the rooms because I'm sure you're really tired."

Pearl pulled the Octoling up to her feet. "Come on Rina. You can sleep in my room if ya want."

Vic smiled and gave Marina a brief hug. "It's crazy how just 9 years ago, I was looking down at you. Now we are the same height. I thought Pearl was going to be the tall one still.

Pearl pouted as Marina laughed. Vic turned and followed Rose into the Kitchen.

Pearl gently guided Marina upstairs, to her bedroom. 'Yknow I still got your beanbag here. Never moved or touched it."

"Hey Rina! I got two of these beanbags for us. Come on!" Young Pearl exclaimed, pulling the small Octoling to the room"

Marina smiled at the familiar memory.

"Wow really? That's cool." Marina softly smiled. Pearl looked at Marina and noticed how sluggish Marina's movement was.

"I guess you're real tired. Let's get you in bed quickly."

Pearl pulls her covers back and guides the Octoling in the bed. Marina sighs as she feels the warmth and softness of the bed. It feels really nice and familiar but something's missing...

The inkling places the covers over the Octoling and sits on the edge. "You need anything? Like water or something?"

Marina shakes her head. Pearl smiles and gets up to leave but Marina grabs her hand.

"Rina? What is it?"

"...don't go." Marina said quietly. She doesn't know why but suddenly she wants Pearl to stay with her.

"But you need some rest. I don't want to-"

"I know but I'm tired of being alone at night Pearlie... Can.. Can you just lay with me? Like we did before I left?" Marina asked.

Young Marina stood in the doorway. "Pearlie?" I'm sorry to wake you but, can I sleep with you? It's too dark and quiet downstairs..."

Pearl blushed a little bit as she smiled. She pulls the covers back slightly and gets in bed as well. "Sure thing Mar."

"Thanks Pearl." Marina said, laying on her side, facing where Pearl was. Pearl grabbed her hand and squeezed it. "No problem Rina.

Pearl heard the Octoling slowly fall asleep. She smiles and scoots closer to the Octoling. Then closes her eyes, deciding to rest too cause why not.
================================