Chapter 8

Marina lies in bed as she plays with her hands. It's been almost 2 weeks since she was caught in that accident. The medic had kept her in the infirmary for a few days before allowing her to go to her room.

She still couldn't see anything. Marina was tired of seeing a black picture. She hated being escorted to where she needed to be. She hated feeling weak and vulnerable.

Where did I go wrong...

The engineer probably would never be able to figure out where she went wrong in the Killer Whail.

Despite all this, Marina has something to look forward to.

She was going home tomorrow! With or without sight, the thing she longed the most was to be back with her mom and everyone else.

She wouldn't be able to see their faces but just being able to hug and talk to them was all Marina needed for now.

She couldn't wait to  help her mom with some broken technology, go shopping with Rose, read all those books in her room.

One thing she was excited about was to see her best friend. Just the thought of her best friend sends Marina's hearts racing. She wonders if the inkling is still taller than her.

I hope she got over Mayonnaise...Marina shudders at the thought.

Marina thinks back on their last words they have said to each other, 9 years ago.

Does Pearl still remember her? What if she doesn't? Would she still be her best friend?

Marina shook her head, as she dismissed these thoughts. She'll just have to wait and see.

Bad idea to shake her head. She was still dealing with a lot of pain in her head, as well with her hand and eyes. It isn't as bad as it was when she was in the nursery but still causes Marina to wince once and a while.

Marina flinched as a knock on her door was heard. "C-Come in."

She heard the door open and close. This is where she begins to hate her temporary blindness once again. She can never tell who's in her presence.

"Marina?"

Marina smiles a bit, looking towards the voice. "Hey Sky, what is it?"

Sky walked over and sat next to Marina. "So uh I heard you're leaving..."

"Yeah. I finally get to go home!" Marina says, sighing. "After so long, I can finally see them again."

"I'm glad you are able to see them again. I know you missed them very much."

"I really did." Marina nodded.

Sky looks down and sighs. "I'll be here by myself then."

"Oh yeah... I'm sorry Sky. I wish you could come with me and let you meet my mom and Pearlie's parents."

Sky shook her head. "No no it's completely okay. General is sending me off to Squidbeak Splatoon to assist them."

"That's great! That means you can be around-"

"Marina! Don't you dare finish that sentence!" Sky exclaimed, face heating up.

Marina smirked. "You and Three are so cute together."

"Marina!"

"Okay okay, I'll stop." Marina laughed, placing her hand in Sky's shoulder. "I'll miss you Sky."

"I'll miss you too, Marina." Sky reaches over and hugs the older Octoling.
================================

Marina sat in the car, doing nothing more than listen to the music on the radio and play with her banadaged hands.

She and Octavio sat as they rode in silence. She wants to say something but she just feels awkward and nervous for some reason.

Awkward because it was too quiet. And nervous because she was seeing her family again.

"So uh... You have everything?" Octavio broke the silence. His hand gripping the steering wheel, tightly.

"Oh uh yes. Had Sky help me get everything." Marina said, hand going towards her wrist, messing with the bracelet.

"That's good."

Another session of silence has began.

Marina bit her cheek and held in a groan.

Oh she was not about to sit through another silent moment.

"Hey... I just wanna say, thank you for everything. Even though you took me away from home and stuff, being there has taught me a few things." Marina said. Her tentacles began to sway a little bit. " I got to meet some friends and found a hobby I can enjoy."

Octavio looked at Marina for a brief moment before putting his eyes back on the road. "I uh. You're welcome. I'm sorry for just suddenly taking you like that. We were in a crisis."

"I understand. I don't blame you or anything." Marina looks at her dad's direction.

Octavio smiles a bit before sighing. "And we're here."

Marina feels her hearts begin to speed up as she feels the car stopping. "R-Really?"

"Yep. But it doesn't look like anyone's home."

"Oh... "

Octavio looks at his watch and frowns. "I need go back. Will you be okay from here?"

"Yes I-I should be okay. I'll just wait outside mom's door."

"Alright."
================================

"Well this is it..." Octavio said as he places down her stuff by the door. Marina sat on the porch step.

Octavio looked at the Octoling and sighed. He sat next to her and pulled her in a warm hug. "I must go now. Thank you for all your hard work, Marina. You saved millions of lives with your work."

Marina was shook to be hugged by her dad so suddenly before hugging him back. "No problem. Please take care."

Octavio pulled back a little to press a kiss on her bandaged forehead. "I will. Make sure to have Vic dress your wounds daily."

"I will."

"A-And I love you Marina. I'll keep in touch with you."

"Okay. I love you too... Dad." Marina smiled.

Octavio smiled back before releasing the hug and walks back to his car.

Soon Marina heard the vehicle take off, leaving her by herself on the porch.

Hopefully they come soon...