Chapter 7: To Impa

Zelda jumped off the roof and bolted into the house. Link wasn't under the stairs or on the second floor. She spotted the Sheikah Slate on the main table and quickly snatched it. If the note was true, she had to get to Kakariko quick and tell Impa what had happened. She knew that the master cycle was the fastest way to travel so she summoned it as soon as she was out of the house. She mounted it and peeled out of the village, leaving ruts in the grass, and sped to Kakariko.

A million thoughts raced through her mind. If the note really was true, was Link dead? Again? Or was there still time? Why hadn't they taken her along with him? She was the heir to the throne after all. And who even were they? Or it?

Streams of tears flew off her face and into the wind. She fought them the best she could but she couldn't help thinking of the worst outcomes. People tried to stop her on the way but she blocked them out. She needed to get to Impa as soon as she could.

—————

Paya laid on her bed with her diary on the pillow. She was writing about the events that had happened during the day so far which, in truth, wasn't a lot. She propped her head up with her hand and sighed. In all honesty, things had been rather slow in the village since Zelda and Link had returned from the battle with Ganon.

When they had come to the village after the fight, she saw how happy they were together. The princess and her knight. She slowly accepted the fact that they were meant to be together... even if it meant her giving up on Link.

Her entries had been rather bland. There was nothing going on. It was, well, boring. She wasn't complaining: if nothing crazy was happening then everything was normal. She just wanted... something. She didn't even know what she wanted...

Maybe it was time for a walk.

She stepped down the stairs and saw Simpson her pillow— she was probably sleeping. It's all she could really do in her old age. She would sometimes be able to walk around the village with Paya and the guards, but not often.

"Grandmother," Paya started, "I'm going for a walk around the village. I'll be back in a while."

Impa looked up and gave her a wrinkly smile. "Ok. Have fun, granddaughter."

Paya opened the doors and traveled down the long staircase. The sun was high in the blue sky. Dorian looked up at her.

"Going somewhere, are we?" he questioned.

"Just a little walk around the village. It shouldn't be that... long..." her voice trailed off as the rev of an engine echoed off the hills that surrounded the village.

"Looks like Link might be paying us a visit!" Cado said rather excitedly. Paya was excited, too. Link hadn't come to the village in a while. The last time he was here was to check on their stock of monster parts and medical supplies. The sound grew louder and louder until they all saw the master cycle burn around the corner towards them, but it wasn't the hero on the back of it. It was-

"Z- Zelda?"

The cycle came to a screeching halt in front of the three of them. Paya ran to meet her. She saw that Zelda's checks were wet and saw fear in her eyes along with a hint of... anger?

"Zelda, what's happ-"

"Come on," Zelda said running up the stairs.

"What's going on? W-where's Li-"

"Come on!" 

—————

Impa held the wrinkled paper in her hands and read it over again. "This is what was left?"

"Yes," Zelda's voice was shaky but had a surprising punch to it. Her body shook as she fought back the tears from coming.

"Zelda, here," Paya said carrying a wooden chair towards her. She collapsed into it and looked at her friend.

"Thank you, Paya."

Paya nodded and kneeled next to where she sat.

Impa ran her fingers along the paper over and over again. She finally looked up at them.

"Evil has all but vanished from Hyrule. You of all people know this, princess. However," she leaned forward, "there is still one group that longs for destruction and darkness."

There was a short silence. Paya knew what Impa was talking about and was sure Zelda knew, too.

"The Yiga Clan," Zelda whispered. Paya turned her eyes towards the princess. She could hear the hurt in her voice.

"But," Paya turned her head to her grandmother, "Link defeated their master, right?" she returned to Zelda. "With no master there's no one to lead them."

"Perhaps there is a new leader," Impa stated. "When I am gone from this world you will take over this people." She motioned towards Paya, who became very stiff at that statement. "Maybe they have a similar system. The clan was born out of the Sheikah so their culture could very well be close to ours."

Zelda's mind flashed to when she had gone off without Link all those years ago and the three Yiga Clansmen had jumped her. She remembered what they had almost done to her. They could've easily killed her without a second thought. Why had they tried to kill her then but not now?

"Impa?" Zelda started. "W- why not take me? They tried to kill me before... why would they just take Link?" She paused. "Wait! What are we doing!" She looked at both of the Sheikah women. "We need to go save him! He could very well be-"

"Princess," Impa cut her off. She then took a long breath out and stood up. She hopped down the small stairs that lead to her pillow and slowly walked towards Zelda. Once she stood in front of her, she extended her frail hands to the princess. She took them in hers.

"This will be very difficult, but please trust me when I say that Link will be just fine."

"I- Impa..."

Paya heard betrayal in Zelda's voice. "Grandmother, are you-"

"Please. Both of you." Impa sighed again. "Link will be protected. I know that you-"

"How do you know that, Impa?" Zelda's voice was desperate. Paya could see her eyes shine as they welled with fresh tears.

"Trust me, princess. He will be back. I promise you he will be back."

Zelda continued to fight back her tears. "So we do nothing? Absolutely nothing?"

"Stay in the village until he returns. I promise you he will walk through these doors within the next few days."

Zelda took her hands from Impa and put them to her face as she finally let the tears falls without restraint.

Impa turned back around towards her pillow.

"Have faith. It will work out."

She sat on her pillow once again as Paya took Zelda upstairs and the sobs faded away.