Chapter 23: Link

The slam from the door echoed off the the walls that were dripping with malice. The floor was lined with it, too. Link made sure to be careful where he stepped. The malice hung from the ceiling as well. It all moved around their respective surfaces like snakes slithering over one another.

As he moved closer to the middle, the master sword shined its blue light, the same way it had done when he fought the Calamity and during his first encounter with Dark Link.

"That thing really does know when darkness is near."

All the torches on the walls lit up in an instant. At the far wall stood Dark Link. He had blended in with the malice behind him. He walked forward, stepping in his own creation.

"Hello, Link."

Link scowled.

"Fancy meeting you here."

Link continued to stay silent.

"I must admit," Dark said, "I completely underestimated you. Having an army ready right when we were going to attack was brilliant. I guess we can thank Princess Zelda for that, though. A dream right before it was all going to happen? The Goddess must really like her."

He looked down at his black and red version of the Champions Tunic. He pulled down on the ends, making it straighter.

"What do you think of me, Link? Pure evil and hatred just like Ganon was? Or do you see some of yourself in me?"

He was trying to get Link mad and he knew it, but he kept calm and waited for him to stop talking.

Dark laughed. "Of course you don't. You have no idea what it's like to have the power I have. To have Ganon's wrath flow through you. To not have attachments to anyone or anything. To know what it's like to be your own person."

Dark was now in Link's face. The blue from the sword shined on both their faces.

"I'm you. But better."

He started to walk away from Link.

"I really do wish we didn't have to do this," he said. "I don't want to kill the man everyone cares so much about."

He turned over his shoulders and smiled. "You know, we could work together. I was born from your body...using the malice Kanto possessed."

A flash of wonder sparkled in his yellow eyes. "What would happen if we came back together? The Hero of Hyrule who could control the power of the malice and have the spirit of Ganon dwelling in him."

Dark Link held out his hand.

"We would be unstoppable."

Link gripped his sword harder.

"No."

Dark Link tilted his head. "What was that?"

Link repeated. "No."

Dark Link sighed. "So be it."

Dark held his hand out to the side and from the malice shot his sword. It flew from the wall and directly into his hand. Then he charged Link.

Link sprinted at him, too. Dark jumped into the air with his sword raised high. Link held up his shield as he came down and banged his sword onto it. Link shoved him off and slashed down, but Dark had stepped back, so it narrowly missed.

Dark rushed him again. Link wanted to do something. He hadn't done it in a while, but he wanted to try. Right when Dark Link swung at his legs, Link jumped back and everything slowed down. Dark's sword stopped moving as Link hovered over it. He had done it. It was time for a flurry rush.