Chapter 5: No Matter What You Do

~CAMILA'S POV~
~THE NEXT MORNING~
Yay, I'm finally 16!!!!
"Happy birthday, Camila!!!" Mom greets me as I come down for breakfast.
"Thanks, Mom," I tell her, as she kisses my forehead.
"I made your favorite, chocolate chip waffles," she shoots me a smile, as I peer over her shoulder to see a plate full of waffles and syrup.
I smile and give her a hug, as I can feel my phone vibrating..probably texts from Shawn.
'''
I finish eating breakfast and check my phone to see texts from Shawn and...Colson.
Shawn: HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAMILITA!!!
Shawn: I DEF DIDN'T FORGET UR BDAY
Shawn: we still on for that movie?
Shawn: u know who needs a sweet 16?
Me: THANK YOU! AND UR LUCKY UR MY FRIEND SHAWNITO
Shawn: im ur only friend
Me: shut up
~~~~
Colson: happy birthday camilita
Me: thanks kells
Colson: so any plans?
Me: i might go to a movie later w shawn
Colson: nice
Me yeah
~~~
Shawnito: r u coming to school or nah
Me: no:)
Shawnito: it is ur bday
"I can skip school today, right?" I ask my mom, who was sitting on the couch and scrolling through her phone.
"It is your birthday," she sighs," just for today."
Thank god.
~SHAWN'S POV~
Thanks alot for ditching me, Camilita.
I quickly run up the stairs and walk to my first block, which was around the corner, Spanish 3 Honors.
I stand next to the classroom door, resting my side on the wall and cross my legs and see a familiar looking short brunette with glasses. She looks prettier than yesterday.
"Alessia?" I address the girl.
She looks up," Hey, Shawn."
"You're in this class?" I nervously chuckle.
"About time you noticed Shawnito," she teases.
"How do you know about that?" I ask her, as she giggles.
"Are you sure that you and Camila aren't dating?" She smirks.
"We're just friends. But how do you know about all of this?" I ask her again.
"I can't believe you still now realized we're in the same class," she rolls her eyes.
"I'll make it up to you, Sia," I look into her eyes.
"How about giving me the answers to our homework?" She suggests, looking into my eyes.
I laugh as I look down at the ground and back to her," What do you think of me? Like I'm some homework nerd that'll give you all the answers."
"Fine. Tell me once you think of something better, Myers," she tells me.
I think I already thought of something.
Camila: u hv a crush on her, don't u?
There's no point in denying it, is there?
~CAMILA'S POV~
Shawnito: ur physic i swear
Me: u sounded too chill when u called her cool
Shawnito: im so bad at this
Me: u r
Shawnito: hey
Me: sorry
Me: she's so freaking pretty tho
Me: so i've heard all morning
Me: shouldn't u be in class?
Shawnito: gtg
Speaking of, I wonder what's up with Kells. We never talked about what happened? It was probably an in the moment kind of thing? I mean, who can ever like me?
~COLSON'S POV~
This feels weird..at school, knowing that Camila isn't here. I mean, lunch starts in a few minutes, I guess I could pay her a little visit.
~LUNCH~
Me: is it ok if I stop by?
Camila: sure
~CAMILA'S HOUSE~
I ring the doorbell, and Camila opens the door.
"What're you doing here?" She asks me, as she looks so surprised.
"I texted you asking if I could come see you," I remind her.
She shuckles," I thought you were just joking."
I shake my head and laugh. "So how's your birthday?"
"It's good," she smiles at me, as I smile back.
"Happy birthday," I tell her, as I bring the box of chocolates from behind my back to the front of her face.
"You didn't have to," Camila tells me, as she looks at the box and then at me with a smile. "Thank you!" She says as she embraces me into a hug, I hug back.
"Of course! It's your birthday," I smile at her again. "So..you wanna go to the park..?"
"Sure," she says, as she goes inside to get her phone and stuff.
~CAMILA'S POV~
"Mom, I'm going to the park!" I shout as I grab my phone and put it in my pocket.
"Come back soon! You're going to a movie with Shawn later right?" She shouts back from her room upstairs.
--
"Movie date with Shawnito," Kells smirks, as I sigh. "Just a movie though?"
"I wanted to keep it simple," I say, as I walk towards the swings," Can you push me?"
"Are you sure you want to swing now? You literally ate half the box like 5 minutes ago," Kells giggles.
"Please, Kells?" I pout, as I sit on the swing and comes behind him. "Yay!"
---
He sits next to me on the next swing," I hope that's enough."
"That's good," I smile, he smiles back. "Just curious..why'd you ditch school to come here?" I look at him, as our eyes meet.
"Because," he says, as I gets up.
"Where are you going?" I ask him, as I grab his arm.
He turns around," Don't you have to go to that movie or whatever?"
"Answer my question first. Because?" I let go of my grasp, as he looks into my eyes.
"Because," he cups my face.
"C'mon, there has to be more than "because-" I snicker, as I see his eyes staring into mine. And I fell deep into his eyes.
"..I wanted to see you," he says, moving in closer with our faces about a few inches apart.
~BUZZ~
Thanks alot, Shawn.
"Uh," I break the awkward silence," I should probably get that..."
"Oh yeah, right-sorry," he stutters, as he gently lets go of my face.
~COLSON'S POV~
Did I just-And she didn't pull away..does that mean she might..?
"That was Shawn. We're meeting at my house in 5," she changes the subject," do you wanna join?"
"It's fine," I shrug.
"You sure?" She asks.
I nod," We hung out for the past hour, Cam."
"True," she nods and embraces me into a hug," Thank you for this-next time, just don't do this during school."
We break apart, as I raise my eyebrow," No promises."
"Bye," she waves as she was about to walk off, until I grabbed her hand.
"Um, do you want me to walk you?" I offer.
She nods," Sure."
~CAMILA'S POV~
I don't know what happened back there...But it felt..real. Could he really like ME?
"See you later, Kells," I embrace him into one last hug, both of us smiling.
We break apart," Bye, Mila." He walks off, as my attention turns to Shawn.
"What was he doing here?" Shawn asks me, as I sigh.
"Can we just see the movie now?" I roll my eyes, as he shrugs.
~IN THE CAR~
~SHAWN'S POV~
He must've ditched school to visit Mila...no wonder I didn't see him in the halls or at our lunch spot...
"He ditched school to see you, didn't he?" I spat as I saw from the corner of my eye, Camila turning to face me.
"Shawn, I know it sounds bad..-" She starts.
"I guess, since it's your birthday. I'm giving him a pass," I tell her, as she gives me a surprise face.
"Did I hear that correctly?" She asks me again.
I sigh, as I enter into the movie theater parking lot.
~AFTER THE MOVIE~
"Shawn, how'd you know I'd wanna watch Birdbox?" She asks me.
"You've been talking about it till it released like a week ago," I chuckle.
~BUZZ~
Alessia: when r u paying me back mendes?
"You already owe her one?-Like a date?" Camila smirks," Ooh, Shawn."
"She kinda went after me for not noticing that she's in my spanish class.." I scratch the back of my neck, nervously.
"Of course. Shawnito, you're the most non-observant person ever," Camila snickers, as we walk out to my car.
"You don't need to insult me for it, Camilita," I tease her with her nickname.
When are you paying me back, Mendes? Hmm...Real soon.
---
I open the door for Camila and the shut the door for her.
"Thanks, Shawn," she embraces me into a hug, I hug back. "I had a good time."
"You're welcome. And happy birthday again," I tell her, as we break apart.
"Bye, Shawnito," Camila tells him, as she starts walking to her house, a few houses away.
"Bye."
~IN MY BEDROOM~
Me: real soon
Alessia: when tho?
Me: it wouldn't be a surprise then would it?
Alessia: i never said a surprise...but ok
Me: btw howd u do on the hw?
Alessia: i did ok. But ur answers wouldve helped:(
Me: next time:)
Alessia: ur giving in
~1:00 AM~
Alessia: ig its late now
Me: if im brain dead in spanish im blaming u
Alessia: not if i blme u first
Me: gn sia
Alessia: gn mendes
Camila's probably gonna kill me for this.
~CAMILA'S POV~
Shawn's still active?! It's way past his bedtime..
~BUZZ~
Who that be in this hour..?
Kells: <3<3<3
Maybe there is a chance he does like me....