Irritation

"They're flirting again..." Jiang Cheng muttered, gritting his teeth, as he looks at Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji. His face is dark as he draws out Zidian.

Lan Xichen saw his expression. "... are you jealous of them?" he asked.

"Why the hell should I be?!" Jiang Cheng snapped and glared at Lan Xichen. He then stopped, realizing what he did.

Lan Xichen smiled, understanding. "Forgive me if I pried too much... Sect Leader Jiang." He said and bowed, then silently walked away.

Jiang Cheng was left speechless. He even forgot the two that're flirting, who're the reason he got mad in the first place.

He just stared at the resolute back, the sleeves of snow white robe flutters by the wind as Lan Xichen walks away, not disturbing even a leaf or the sleeping bird in the tree.

He just walked and left like a ghost in the middle of the forest.

The next day.

"Sect Leader Jiang." It was Lan Xichen who called.

Jiang Cheng's eyes went wide. He turned on his heel, his back on Lan Xichen. Wei Wuxian's eyes went wide, shocked by Jiang Cheng's reaction. Lan Wangji's the same as ever.

Jiang Cheng was about to leave when Wei Wuxian called him. "Hey. What's wrong?" Wei Wuxian asked Jiang Cheng. "Why the reaction? ZeWu-Jun just called you." He asked, puzzled by the other's sudden reaction.

But Jiang Cheng didn't answer.

Lan Xichen spoke. "Young master Wei." He called and smiled at Wei Wuxian. "It seems like Sect Leader Jiang and I, our conversation yesterday... I might have offended him." he explained, then turned to Jiang Cheng. "It seems like you're still offended. Please forgive me." he told Jiang Cheng. "I won't appear before Sect Leader Jiang - " he said.

Jiang Cheng cut him off. "That's not it." he said, then turned to Lan Xichen. Lan Xichen looked at him. Jiang Cheng pressed his lips tight. "Can I talk to you for a minute?" he asked, then walked first, walking past Wei Wuxian who's puzzled by what's happening, and Lan Wangji who's still the same as ever.

Lan Xichen looked at Jiang Cheng's back, then turned to Wei Wuxian and his brother. He nodded at them, then followed Jiang Cheng.

"I am not offended by what you said yesterday." Jiang Cheng started. "I just..." he said. Lan Xichen didn't speak and just waited for him to continue. "I actually am aware of what I felt." He said. "Yes. I may have somewhat felt stronger feelings towards Wei Wuxian. And when I realized that, I... it was all too late." He said and lowered his head. "I was blinded by my hate towards him, and that hate is stronger than what I feel towards him, so I - " he said, then paused. He didn't continue after that.

Silence fell.

"... I was blinded by my too much sympathy, and that sympathy masked what I felt." Lan Xichen said.

Jiang Cheng turned to him. Lan Xichen smiled, but not his usual smile.

It was a sad smile.

"What do you mean?" Jiang Cheng asked.

"... your hate covered your heart, while my sympathy masked mine." Lan Xichen answered. "But, in the end... we're just the same." He said, then smiled. A bitter smile. "We realized what we felt... all too late." He said and looked at Jiang Cheng.

Neither of them spoke and just let the silence speak what their heart longed to speak.

Yunmeng - Lotus Pier.

It must be Jin Guangyao. Jiang Cheng thought as he walks back and forth.

"Hey. Hey - !" Wei Wuxian called and hit Jiang Cheng's forehead.