Harry x Esme - Meeting

Author's Note: So a point of clarification, there will be mention of magic Underland/Wonderland that goes beyond the growing cakes and shrinking potions that Tate, one of my other OCs, can do. Not exactly canon I know, but it's fanfiction so anything's possible right 🤷‍♀️? The angle I'm going for with Tate's magic is that since Underland in general is different and in a way defiant, magic from there can bypass average magic.

Again, not exactly canon I know, but it's fanfiction so anything's possible yes? Yes.

Onward!

Walking down the dorm hallway towards Mal and Evie's room, I froze when I heard crying. I slammed the door to my friends' room open to see Mal in her Isle wear with her backpack slung over her shoulders. Not even thinking twice, I walked over and pulled the blond into my arms. "Mon Cherie, what happened?"

Mal sobbed as she clung to me. "Ben found out I was using my spellbook."

I gently ran my fingers through her hair. "And he didn't take it well."

She shook her head into my shoulder before pulling away. "I don't belong here Esme, I never did."

It didn't take long to connect the dots. "You're going back."

Mal froze before sighing and tried to set a stony expression on her face; keyword there being tried. "I'm done with being everyone's perfect princess."

As she turned away to stab holes into a small box lid for her mother, I bit my lip. I had an idea to make her stay, but it was completely, or hundred percent insane.

"Well, I guess I'm coming with you then."

The daughter of Maleficent's bright green eyes shot to me in shock. "Absolutely not-"

I held up a hand. "One week is all I ask. As soon as I help you settle in, I'll come back to Auradon and you'll never see me again."

She hesitated for a moment as I let what I said sink in. I'm not going to tell her this, but my plan was to go with her and try to subtly convince her to come back with me by Cotillion. Even if she and Ben don't make up with each other, at least she won't have to stay in the terrible living conditions she was in before she and the others moved here.

Mal looked me dead in the eye. "If I say yes, how do you plan on getting back?"

"I'll leave a note for Tate to open a portal to come get me in a week and I'll come back, no fuss no muss."

The blonde was quite before sighing stiffly. "Fine, but while you're there the only voice you hear is mine. You listen to me and follow my rules, deal?"

I nodded quickly. "Deal."

"Grab what you need and meet me out front. Be careful on what you pick, we don't want anyone catching on that you're Auradon."

Without another word I turned on my heel and darted for my room, praying that I didn't run into Ben or any of my other friends. That's also when I started second guessing myself, what if this doesn't work? What if Tate's health deteriorates like the last time he opened a portal to the Isle? He won't be keeping it open for as long as he did last time, but still.

What if I fail and Mal stays on the Isle forever?

I grit my teeth before continuing to my room.

No, I can't think like that.

Thankfully I arrived at my room with no interruptions and grabbed what clothes I could, making sure to only grab my leather clothes and the clothes I wear on a more daily basis in the Court of Miracles. And once my backup couldn't hold anything else, I grabbed a blank piece of paper and scribbled a quick note to my Underland friend.