t w o

Elisa stood up immediately after Cherokee passed out. She took out her knife and went towards the tree line. 

"Hey." Rick said gruffly looking back between Cherokee and her mother. "Where are you going?" 

"To find Daryl." She said before walking into the woods surrounding them. 

___

I woke up only a couple minutes later, with Carl and Rick staring down at me. They both sighed with relief at the sight of my eyes fluttering opened. 

"What's going on?" I rasped as Carl pulled me into his arms. 

"Cherokee," he said dumbfounded. "You passed out baby." 

The leaves surrounding us rustled and all together the rest of the group became alert. Frantically, both my dad and Elisa stepped out. Dad rushed over towards me. 

"You okay?" He asked kneeling towards me and placing his hands on my face. 

"I'm fine." I grumbled almost pushing him away but I gave it a second thought. 

Reluctantly, he nodded and relaxed a little before turning towards Elisa who actually looked concerned. She's changed these past few weeks. He sat down next to me and I leaned my head on his chest as he wrapped an arm around me. 

"Why did she pass out?" She asked quietly.

"She's anemic, with a fast metabolism." He told her. "She's always been, her body needs calories and vitamins. She needs to eat something" 

He rubbed my shoulder as I curled closer into his body. I did this a lot when I was younger. Once again, the tree's rustled but this time growls emitted from the leaves. Four dogs emerged from the wood and my dad pulled out his knife, pushing himself up a little bit. So did the others, ready to protect the group.

Then, silenced gunshots rang out and with a whine, the dogs fell to the ground dead. I flinched and closed my eyes. Sasha had killed them without a second thought. 

It didn't take long for Rick to start a small fire and cook them. Dad handed me the first piece of meat that was cooked and I ate it hesitantly. I'd always loved dogs, in fact I was close to convincing my dad to get one before the whole thing started. Then I realized I needed to survive and without a second thought, I ate the meat.

It was gone too soon. I felt myself longing for more food. From beside me, Elisa handed a piece of hers over. 

"I'm fine." I assured quietly. 

"Your dad said you needed food." She told me placing the piece of meat my hand. "Eat it, I'll be okay." 

"Thanks." I said giving a small smile.

After Beth, things between her and I had cooled down. I realized how short life could be. Things weren't perfect, they never would be. But I put in an effort to be a good kid. If not for her sake than the groups. I'm sure nobody wanted to hear us argue constantly and to be honest, I no longer had the energy. 

Looking over at Dad, he finished his portion quickly like a mad man. He looked up, about to give me his last piece when he realized Elisa had given me hers. 

"Keep it daddy." I said nodding my head to his food. "You need it." 

Hesitantly, he nodded before looking towards Elisa. I could tell by his eyes he was thanking her silently. 

____

The next day, we continued walking. As we always did. Maggie and Glenn talked quietly amongst themselves and I held Judith, giving Carl's arms a quick break. Dad disappeared into the woods again after rejecting Glenn's offering of water.