n i n e

The house was slowly getting crowded. Many people had shown up just to welcome us to the community. It was kind of; odd. Enid and I arrived at the same time Carl and some others did. 

"Thank you for coming." Deanna said greeting us near the door. She turns towards Judith. "You know, I didn't get a chance to interview this one. I envy her."

"Why?" Rick asks as Carl watches over his baby sister. I reach over and grab his hand in my own and he looks over lovingly. 

"She'll get to see what this place will become." Deanna says getting closer to Judith. "Come, come on in."

"You look gorgeous." Carl says placing a kiss on my forehead. 

"Thanks." I say with a laugh nuzzling myself into his side. "Enid did most of the work."

The party, for the most part is awkward and tense for us. Rick left us to our own devices as he went to speak with Deanna and a man I presume is her husband. 

The door opens once more, revealing Ron and his family. There's a little boy somewhere between the ages of 9 and 11. He looks kind of timid and in his hand is a stamp with an 'A' imprinted on it.

Looking around the living space, I realize each member of our group has been cornered in one way or another by the original members of Alexandria. Before the same happens to me, I turn to Carl tapping his shoulder. 

"I'm going to go get some fresh air real quick." I mutter kissing his cheek. "I'll be back."

When I get outside I lean against the porch. The moon is bright and there's a rustle in the trees. Whipping my head to the direction of the noise, out of habit, I notice my dad standing near a tree looking at the house. 

He's cleaned himself up a bit. Instead of the dirty, torn shirt and angel-winged vest he was wearing just this morning, he has a clean long sleeve black shirt and his signature vest has been washed.

"You coming inside?" I ask as he notices me watching him. 

"Nah," He says quietly and I understand why. Dad's never been a people person. People pestering him non-stop tonight would end in disaster. 

"You made an effort, that's what counts." I tell him with a small smile. "I'll see you at home daddy." 

He gives a nod and walks down the streets as if he was never there. When I go back in, Carol is slipping past me and I don't question it. I find Carl talking to Ron and Mikey in a doorframe.

"No it was a tie man!" Carls voice raises playfully as I slip by his side. Mikey hands him some cards and he begins to sort through them. 

"Hey Sam!" Ron calls to his little brother standing by his mother and Rick. She calls after him not to run but the young boy doesn't listen. "This is Carl, and  Cherokee." 

"That's a silly name." He says looking up at me and Carl laughs. 

"That's exactly what I said when we first met." He tells Sam. 

"My daddy named me after one of his favorite stories. He always said that the Rose bushes grow back fast, even if they're destroyed." I tell Sam. "Told me he thought it might fit my personality."

"My parents just liked the name." Sam says as Ron ruffles his hair. 

"I happen to think Sam is a nice name for such a handsome boy." I say. With a grin, he runs off once more leaving us to talk about nothing in particular.

"Your good with kids." Ron notes and I shrug.

"She's always been." Carl agree's pulling me closer. I can sense some jealousy radiating from him but I rub his back in reassurance.

I spot Elisa from the other side of the room. She's wearing a clean flannel and her long black hair is flowing down her back. She smiles at me once she notices my gaze and I smile back. Our minute moment is interrupted by Sasha's yells.

"That's what you worry about?" She yells at a woman whose smile quickly drops. After her small outburst she rushes out of the house in a panic. 

After that, Carl and I decide that we should probably go home for the night. We find Rick holding Judith and I offer to take her home before she gets tired and cranky. 

He hands the baby over and I hold her on my hip as Carl and I walk home in the moonlight. When we get home, my dad is sitting at the kitchen table. He looks up at me in a look saying he wants to talk. I nod, giving Judith to Carl before joining him at the table. 

"What's up?" I ask. 

"I spoke with Aaron tonight, after I left the party." He says brushing a piece of hair from his eyes. "He wants me to be Alexandria's second recruiter." 

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask my voice wavering slightly. I know he's perfectly capable of handling himself but still, that's my dad. What if he runs into a group like us but worse? We didn't treat Aaron all that nicely and he could run into people way worse.

"I won't necessarily be here all the time." He shrugs and my heart lurches. "Aaron needs someone else, he doesn't want Eric risking his life all the time."

"So you're risking your own life." I say in disbelief getting up from my chair. "What if I don't want you risking yours?"

"Cherokee it's not like that." He says getting up also and making a reach for my hand. "You know I can handle myself." 

"I need my dad here!" I say shouting on the verge of tears.

"Cherokee," He says going to grab me but I dodge his grasp and run upstairs wiping my tears furiously. 

"I'm fine."

___

Word Count: 982

kinda angsty there at the end, I'm all about that drama

Hope you enjoyed!!!

Leave a comment and Like!!!!