t w e n t y s e v e n

Rick walks away quickly. Negan leading Olivia and I to a bench in someone's backyard. The guns have been lowered from our heads and I release a small breath. There is no relief though, there won't be any until those guns are found. 

I'm forced to sit on the left side of the man. A pitcher of lemonade sits on my left, a request of Negan's. 

"Dear Cherokee, would you pour me a nice glass of that there lemonade?" He asks and I glare at the man before complying. 

The minutes that go by feel like hours. Every once and a while I'll see my father being led around by Dwight. When our hour is almost up, Negan leads Olivia and I to one of the trucks that the saviors were loading things into. 

Two of his saviors point their guns at our heads, itching to pull the trigger. Dwight stands near us, and my father makes brief lowkey eye contact with me then the gun at my head before once more looking down at his feet. There's nothing he can do, and he realizes that. Next I see Carl standing a few meters down the road, glaring at Negan with one eye. His fingers twitch, and I quickly mouth the word 'no', and he purses his lips before nodding. 

Rick murmurs something to his son before walking over to us with a black leather bag in his hand. 

"What you got for me Rick?" Negan ask. "Well would you look at that? They were here after all."

He pulls the two guns out of the bag, and immediately I let out the breath I'd been holding since Negan first arrived. 

"Funny how a little 'holy shit! Somebody's gonna die!' lights a fire under everybody's ass!" Negan exclaims.

Once more Olivia begins whimpering from beside me. Probably out of relief. Apparently she's never had as many near death experiences as I have. I would need at least both hands to count them all. 

"So tell me Rick, which one of your fine folks almost cost these ladies the rest of their days?" Negan asks Rick.

"It doesn't matter anymore." Rick says calmly and I almost scoff. 

"No, it matters." Negan says. "See you need to get everybody on board. Everybody, or we just go right back to square one."

____

Eventually the saviors and Negan make their way back to to the front gates. I follow from far behind, maybe I can convince Negan to let dad stay. It's a small chance, but I'll never know if I don't try. 

"Hell of a place you got here Rick." Negan exclaims as him and Rick stop near the entrance. 

"Give me a second." Rick says and I follow his line of sight to where Michonne stands in the tower, a deer slung over her shoulders and a rifle strapped to her back.

"No." Negan says grimly as he turns around and notices Michonne also. 

"Please, can you just give me a second?" Rick pleads. Eventually Rick is allowed to go. Eventually Rick returns with Michonne and Negan turns around with a smile on his face. 

"Look at this!" Negan exclaims noticing the deer.

"I thought she was scavenging." Rick says covering her. I know that's not really what Michonne was doing. But Negan doesn't need to know that. "She was hunting. This one never came inside. We kept it near the line." 

He hands Negan the rifle, who takes it gladly. "Look at this! This is something to build a relationship on. Good for you Rick. This is reading the room and gettin the message. I've said it before, I'm gonna say it again. You, sir are special."

"Now that you know we can follow your rules," Rick starts nervously, shifting uncomfortably on his feet. 

"Yes?" Negan draws out. 

"I'd like to ask you if Daryl can stay." Rick asks and my heart speeds up waiting for Negan's answer. 

"Not happening" Negan denies quickly and my heart drops into my stomach. "You know what? I don't know. Maybe Daryl can plead his case. Maybe Daryl can sway me."

Dad stays silent. Refusing to look up and meet our eyes. "Daryl?" Negan chuckles. "Well you tried. Now what you got to do is get over that tall wall of yours and try harder out there. Earn for me. Because we're coming back soon, and when we do, you better have something interesting for us or Lucille, she's gonna have her way. I want you to hear that again. If you don't have something interesting for us, somebody's gonna die. And no more magic guns. Aarat grab that deer, it's getting late! Let's go home." 

"Wait!" I cry out, unable to help myself. "At least let me say goodbye, please." 

Negan turns to me grimly and I take small step back. His gaze meets my own. The man takes two large steps and soon enough he's looming over me. I don't back down from my spot and we're trapped in a staring contest before he sighs rubbing his beard. 

"You're brave kid. I like that," He speaks before nodding over to my dad. "Go." 

"Thank you." I say letting out the breath I'd been holding before walking over to my father quickly and wrapping my arms around his waist tightly. Awkwardly, as if he'll get in trouble he returns the action and buries his head into my shoulder. 

"Don't do anything stupid Rose, please." He whispers pleadingly and I barely hear it. 

"Be safe dad." I whisper back before forcing myself to pull away. With one last look at my dad, I turn to Negan once more. "Thank you." 

He only nods, and says "get out of here kid." Before turning once more to Rick. With a deep breath I turn on my heel and quickly walk away from the scene. 

___

Word Count: 971

Hope you enjoyed, leave a like and comment! 

Feedback is appreciated!!!

**So sorry for the long wait, had a little writers block for chapter 29, and that postponed this one! (plus had to turn in my Mac for school and when I got it back, the first couple weeks of school were hectic regardless)