t w e n t y

For the most part, the entire community of Alexandria has gathered into the church. Rick stands at the front, speaking out towards the group. I sit next to my father, curled into his side like a little kid with his arm wrapped around my shoulder. Carl sits next to me, listening as his own father drones on. 

"-and we can work with the hilltop." He states. "Maggie hammered out a deal, we're getting food; eggs, butter, fresh vegetables. But they're not just giving it away. These Saviors, they almost killed Sasha, Daryl, and Abraham on the road."

I shudder softly at the name. Saviors. Something tells me their name doesn't reveal their true intentions. Dad rubs my shoulder a little bit and squeezes Mom's thigh. Reminding us that he's okay, I suppose. 

"Now, sooner or later, they would've found us, just like those Wolves did, just like Jesus did." Rick continues. "They woulda killed someone, or some of us. Then? They would try to own us. And we would try to stop them. But by then, in that kind of fight, low on food, we could lose. This is the only way to be sure, as sure as we can get that we win. And we have to win! We do this for the hilltop, it's how we keep this place, it's how we feed this place. This needs to be a group decision. If anybody objects here's your chance to say your piece."

For the most part everybody just looks at each other awkwardly. Wondering if someones going to speak up on the matter at hand. Movement sounds from the back of the church as Morgan stands up, with all eyes now on him.

"You're sure we can do it?" He asks. "We can beat them?"

"What this group has done, what we've learned, what we've become, all of us, yes I'm sure." Rick assures. 

I lean back a little further into my seat, allowing the back of my head to settle against Dad's arm. Frankly, I'm tired of fighting. For once, I would just like to pretend that our lives are peaceful. Sadly, I know that will never happen. 

"Then all we have to do is just tell them that." Morgan replies. 

"Well they don't compromise." 

"This isn't a compromise." Morgan cuts Rick off before he can continue. "It's a choice you give them. It's a way out for them and for us."

"We try and talk to the saviors, we give up our advantage, our safety. No, we have to come for them before they come for us." Rick tells him. "We can't leave them alive."

"When there's life, there is a possibility." Morgan says wisely. I know that Rick will not budge. 

"Of them hitting us." Rick's voice raises in the church. 

"We're not trapped in this. None of you are trapped in this." Everybody avoids his gaze as he looks around the room. 

"Morgan.." Rick starts. "they always come back."

I think about everything we've ever been through. The governor, Joe's gang, Terminus. Each time we thought we were safe from them. Instead they came back and it either almost cost our lives, or it actually did cost someone their life.

"Come back when they're dead, too." Morgan states with glassy eyes. 

"Yeah, we'll stop them." Rick agrees somewhat. "We have before." 

"I'm not talking about the walkers." Morgan whispers lowly. 

"Morgan wants to talk to them first. I think that would be a mistake, but its not up to me. I'll talk to the people still at home." Rick states. "I'll discuss it with the people on guard now, too, but who else wants to approach the Saviors, talk to them first?" 

"What happened here, we won't let that happen again." Aaron says standing up. All heads turn towards the man. "I won't."

"Looks like it's settled." Rick announces with his hands placed on his hips. Morgan nods sadly. "We know exactly what this is. We don't shy from it, we live. We kill them all. We don't all have to kill. But if people are gonna stay here, they do have to accept it." 

Rick quickly walks out of the church with a determined look on his face. Briefly, I look towards Carl. His expression is blank and I know exactly what's going through his mind. 

The people we've killed. Collectively as a group there's been a lot of lives ended in order for us to survive. Him and I have killed more than we should have in an entire lifetime. We're only teenagers. 

Slowly, the community exits the church. Carl and I stick behind my mom and dad. Our hands intertwined, and walking slowly. Despite the sun only just beginning to set, all I really want to do is get in bed and remain there for a while. 

"Hey," Carl whispers slowing down even more. "What's wrong?" 

 "I'm just worried about tomorrow." I state. "Something  just doesn't feel right."

"I know." He says pausing in the middle of the street to pull me into his arms and place a loving kiss on my forehead. 

"I know my dad will go for sure. He's always dragged into these things." I say blankly. "and I know mom wants to contribute somehow despite the pregnancy. There's a lot on the line."

"Cherokee." He says placing a hand onto my cheek and making me look at him. "Look at me, okay? Everything is going to go as planned. Our parents will be safe. Our parents will come back, got that?" 

"Yeah, I got it." I say slowly swallowing back any fear thats left. 

Looking down the street, I notice that everybody has disappeared. Once more, we begin to walk home. When the two of us enter the door I notice the group adults standing around an impromptu map of the supposed saviors compound. 

Dad chews on his thumbnail, watching carefully before giving Rick his input. Mom hangs back a little at his side. None of the adults notice us and if they do, they don't bother to acknowledge us. 

Letting go of Carl's hand I climb the stairs two at a time before finding myself in our shared room. Quickly, I change into one of Carl's shirts and a pair of sleep shorts. Looking out of the window I notice the remnants of the sun have slipped under the surface. Soon enough, I'm under the covers clutching a pillow. 

I hear the door open, expecting Carl so I don't move. Instead, when I feel the bed dip down I turn my head slightly noticing dad sitting there. 

"I just spoke with Carl," He starts. " Your mom and I, we're gonna be okay, alright? This is something we've done a hundred times."

"I know, you shouldn't have to though." I say with a shrug and clutch the pillow to my chest a little tighter. "You risk your life almost more than anyone, it's not fair. I just don't wanna lose you daddy." 

He closes his eyes for a moment and sighs. He's at a loss for words at the moment. Hesitantly, he reaches for my hand and gives it a squeeze. "You won't Cherokee, not for a long time." 

I sit up slowly before wrapping my arms around his neck. "I love you daddy" I whisper embracing him tightly. 

"I love you most Rose." He murmurs before pulling away. "You wanna sleep with mom and I tonight?" 

It's childish really, to sleep in your parent's bed at this age. Sometimes though, you need that comfort. So I nod quickly as he gets up and we walk to his room. Mom's already in bed, she's reading a book with her body supported by a couple pillows. 

When we enter, she sets it down and gives me a small smile and opens her arms wide. I fall into them soon enough and she's gripping me inside of a hug. No words are exchanged, instead I silently get into the large bed, placing myself right next to her and curl into a ball. Dad slides under the covers as mom turns off the light and I find myself relaxing quickly within the proximity of my parents. I slide closer to dad making it so that I can fall asleep on his chest and listen to his heartbeat. 

Mom grabs one of hands as she places her other in my hair lightly combing through it. 

It's simple and mundane, but at the moment, it's exactly how things should be. 

___

Word Count: 1418

It's mostly a filler, with a sprinkle of fluff but I feel like that's how it should be before shit hits the fan.

Hope you enjoyed!! Feedback is appreciated!!