Chapter 1

I walk down the large, snow covered road of Detroit. I look around, seeing many androids in the streets, doing whatever their job was. Ah, androids. Robots who were programmed to help us humans, are going deviant and murdering.

     Hank had asked me to help with all of these deviant cases. Actually, Hank and I go way back, he's basically just like another father to me.

     I look down at my feet, pulling my trench coat closer to warm me up. Walking a few more feet, I sigh as I reached out and open the door to the Detroit Police department. Walking inside, I smell the familiar scent of leather, sweat and oil mixed. It was an oddly comforting smell. I walk through the access gate and towards the busy room full of desks. Looking around I notice the department seems backed up. Papers are piling on top of the desks, everyone is running around as if in a frantic. Huh, I wonder if it's because of all the deviants.

     As I walk towards mine and Hank's work desks I notice papers and files are stacked on it and Hank is nowhere to be seen. That's so typical of him. I take a seat at my desk and wait for Hank.

     I suddenly felt a strange presence behind me. I glance over my shoulder to see a guy. He had brown eyes and pushed back brown hair with a piece of it going over his forehead and he had a blue LED on his temple. He was wearing a dark grey suit and a dark tie. The jacket has a blue armband on the right arm, and his model and serial numbers were on the right breast. Ah, so he is a android.

     "Hi I'm Connor, the android sent by Cyberlife. You must be Lieutenant Anderson's other partner. Detective L/N, correct?" His voice is robotic.

     Oh, so he is working with Hank and I, cool. "Yeah, but don't be so formal Connor, just call me Y/N."

     "Understood. I'm looking forward to working with you Y/N."

     "You too Connor."

     "I was sent by Lieutenant Anderson to come and get you from this location because you have yet been notified of the current case."

     Connor and I walk out of the building and to a car. We get in and the car starts driving itself. On the way, Connor and I get to discussing the case. Apparently there is a deviant who shot her owner and took his child yesterday. Damn. That's kind of scary.

     When the car stops, we reach our destination, the 24 convenience store. We get out and meet up with Hank. Hank doesn't seem to notice us, as he is talking to officer Collins. As Connor and I walk closer, Hank takes notice to us and starts walking towards us.

     "Hey Hank, long time no see." I hug him.

     "Yeah, hey kid." Hank grumbles not liking the human contact. I pull away with a pout. "They were here last night, they couldn't have gone far." Hank adds.

     "But that doesn't make sense, the android kidnaps a child and takes them to a store? Where anyone could see them? That doesn't add up." I reply.

     "Exactly what I was thinking." Hank agrees.

     "But we still need to capture the deviant and question it." Connor states.

     "Yeah of course."

     I walk across the street to a fence. I start inspecting it. There is a cut in the fence. I cautiously make my way through, cutting my shoulder on the cut fence. I wince but keep on heading towards an abandoned looking house. The house is about two stories and seems like it is made from wood.

     I look through the grimy window, there is a little girl, and a female android. The android has short blonde hair, and she is obviously a AX400 model. The little girl has long brown hair put into a ponytail and she looks about nine.

     I pull out my gun and open the door, they both jump up fearfully. I aim it at them. The female android pushes the little girl behind her with her left hand and puts her right hand in the air. "Please, I-I've done nothing wrong." The female android pleads.

     I cock my gun. "You murdered a man."

     "Yes, I did bu-"

     The little girl interjects, "He was hurting us, Kara just saved me. Please let us go. We just want to be free."

     My whole demeanor softens. They were being abused. Kara was protecting the little girl. I look away. "Go, go out the back now. Head to the buses and be quick."

     I hear them shuffling, then running and a door slamming. I turn around and leave out the door. Maybe there is more to deviancy than we think.

     I crawl back through the fence to be met with Connor and Hank. "Did you find anything Y/N?" Connor asks almost immediately.

     "No, nothing. I think we may have lost our lead."

     Connor's LED goes yellow, then he let out a frustrated sigh. "Damn it."

     "It's okay Connor we'll get them." I pat his shoulder. His LED goes back to blue and he nods in response.

     "What happened to your arm Y/N?" Hank questions.

     "Oh, it was the fence. But it's fine, it's not that deep."

     We start walking back towards the store. An officer stops us. "The deviant and the child, they were running that way." He points in the direction of the train station. Fuck.

     Connor immediately took off into a sprint. I go after him. I have to make sure he doesn't do anything to them. As I chase him I start to fall quickly behind. Jesus Christ he's fast. Luckily I know a shortcut to the train station. I turn right and keep running. I see Kara and the little girl. Good I got here before Connor.

     "Kara, they are coming over here. There's no time, go over this fence and cross the road. It's dangerous but it will get you there."

     "Thank you." She says before she helps the little girl over and then climb over herself.

     When they are over the other side, I see Connor out of the corner of my eye. I act like I'm out of breath to make it seem like I just got here. "Connor...they're getting... away." I pant as I speak.

     Connor watches as they slid down the hill onto the busy road. "Holy fuck. That's insane." I hear Hank behind me.

     "I have to stop them." Connor is about to climb the fence but Hank pulls him down.

     "No you won't, you'll get yourself killed. Besides, they'll never make it to the other side."

     "I can't take that chance." Connor tries to climb again.

     "I said no Connor that's an order." Hank pushes him down again.

     Connor is hesitant but he stays. We all watch as Kara and the little girl try to cross the road. Kara helps the girl forward and she goes forward as well. Kara did it again, but this time the little girl trips and screams, Kara just barely pulls the girl towards her before a car comes. Everytime they just barely pass a car, I wince.

     Eventually though, they make it. I try to hold back a smile. They are free.