Chapter 9

After a few hours of driving we arrive back at the station. Once we walk in Fowler calls us into his office. Hank and I groan. "What could he possibly want this time?" Hank says as we walk to Fowler's office. We walk inside and stop when we are in front of Fowler's desk.

"You're off the case. The FBI is taking over."

"What?" I say.

Hank speaks, "But we're onto something. We... We just need more time. I'm sure we can-"

"Guys, you don't get it. This isn't just another investigation, is a fucking civil war! It's out of our hands now. We're talking about national security here."

I can't speak, I'm too in shock. I just want to beg for more time, but I can't.

"FUCK THAT! You can't just pull the plug now. Not when we're so close."

"You're always saying you can't stand androids. Jesus, Hank, make up your mind. I thought you'd be happy about this."

"We're about to crack the case. I know we can solve it. For God's sake, Jeffrey, can't you back me up this one time?"

"There's nothing I can do. Y/N can stay as your partner, but, you're back on homicide and the android returns to Cyberlife. I'm sorry Hank, it's over."

Hank and I storm out and head towards our shared desk. We just sit there in frustrated silence. Connor walks up and sits on the desk. "We can't just give up like that. I know we could've solved this case." He states.

I speak up, "I know, but there's not much we can do. You're going back to Cyberlife, right?" I try to hide the disappointment in my voice.

"I have no choice. I'll be deactivated and analyzed to find out why I failed."

"What if we're on the wrong side? What if we're fighting against people who just wanna be free?" Hank asks.

"When the deviants rise up, there will be chaos. We could have stopped it. But now it's too late." Connor replies.

"When you refused to kill that android, back at Kamski's place. You put yourself in her shoes. You showed empathy, Connor. Empathy is a human emotion."

The expression Connor makes says it all. He tries to hide it, but I could see the slight fear in his eyes.

"Why did you refuse to shoot her?" I ask out of curiosity.

"I don't really know why I did it..." Connor trails off. "I'm not programed to say things like this, but I really appreciated working with you two. With a little more time, who knows..."

"Well, well," Hank says, "here comes Perkins, that motherfucker. Sure don't waste any time at the FBI."

"We can't give up. I know the answer is in the evidence we collected. If Perkins takes it, it's all over." Connor says determinedly.

"Connor, we have no choice. We're off the case." I reply.

"You guys have to help me. I need more time so I can find a lead in the evidence we collected. I know the solution is in there."

"Listen Connor-"

"If I don't solve this case, Cyberlife will destroy me. Five minutes, it's all I ask."

Hank sighs. "Y/N, you go with Connor." Hank stands up, "Key to the basement is on my desk. Get a move on! I can't distract them forever." Hank walks away.

As Connor grabs the key card, I look in Hank's direction, curious to see what his distraction is. "PERKINS! YOU FUCKING COCKSUCKER!" Hank punches Perkins. Well that's one way to distract them.

Connor grabs my wrist and he rushes me through a door. We are now in a hallway with a singular door labeled, 'ARCHIVE ROOM.' We are about to enter through the door when someone walks in. I look and it's (of course) the douche himself, Gavin Reed.

"Hey guys! I'm talking to you assholes. Where are you going? We don't need any pricks around here, or didn't anybody tell you?"

I open my mouth to tell Gavin he can go fuck himself, but Connor cuts me off. "I've been ordered to return to Cyberlife. Y/N and I are going to register the evidence in our possession and then we're going to leave immediately."

"Good... But be careful on your way back. Androids have a tendency of, uh... Getting themselves set on fire these days." Gavin winks and leaves, mumbling stuff under his breath. What a fucking prick.

Connor opens the door and we make our way down the stairs. "Don't let him get to you Connor. He just a prick."

"Thanks Y/N."

"Don't thank me yet. We still gotta find this evidence."

We reach the bottom of the stairs. A glass door in front of us. Connor uses the key card and we go through the door. In the center of the room is a terminal. Connor scans his palm on it, 'ENTER PASSWORD' is written in bold caps. "Uh, try FUCKINGPASSWORD." I say. Connor puts it in and it works.

"How did you know that?" He asks.

"It's his password for almost everything."

The evidence comes forward and lights up. There are three androids we can reactivate, two of which, I don't recognize. But the one I do recognize was the android from the Stratford Tower. The one that attacked Connor, the one that tried to shoot us. Well, let's get this over with...

After reactivating the androids and scanning over the clues, we got it. We know Jericho's location. "We got it Y/N." Connor says as we rush up the stairs.

"I know." I am happy we found the location, so why does my voice seem unsure? Anyway, Connor doesn't seem to notice. No more words are spoken as we walk out of the police station.

"Hey, Connor?"

"Yeah?"

"What are we gonna do now?"

"Well, you're going to go home. I'm going to find new clothes and then I'm going to go infiltrate Jericho and then if the location is correct I will notify the FBI."

"I thought you'd say something like that. Look, maybe we shouldn't do this."

"What? But deviants are-"

"I know what they are. It's just, I can't help but feel, they might actually be human. I think we should at least listen to them first."

"I'm sorry, Y/N, my mission is to neutralize the leader of the deviants, and that's what I intend to do."

"But is that what you want?"

"What I want doesn't matter. I am a machine."

"No you're not-"

Connor quietly cuts me off, "Is it wrong to feel scared?" My whole demeanor softened. "Is it wrong to feel scared of getting shut down? I have to do this, or I will die."

I stay quiet, too shocked to say anything. Too shocked to even know how to reply. In this minute of us saying nothing, Connor walks off. I open my mouth to try stop him, but nothing comes out. Damn it, why did I let him go?

I quickly think of an idea. I can beat Connor there, and warn the deviants. I hop into a taxi and set the address for a store near Jericho (since Jericho doesn't have an actual address). 'To Jericho.' I think to myself as the taxi starts driving.