Chapter 6

When Karen entered the Deavor home the first thing she noticed was that it was quiet.

Too quiet actually.

The girl kicked off her boots before she went to look for her friend. She stood in the kitchen, grabbing one of the fruits from the basket.

Only a few hours before, after the dinner with her best friends family, Mrs. Deavor kept complaining about the fact that none of her kids ate any of the fruits she picked from their garden. Karen gladly offered herself for the job, being the fruit lover she was.

At least it explained to her now why Evelyn never ate any of the apples and bananas Karen brought home. She basically had to force her to eat anything with Vitamins. Usually she tricked her with the infamous pancakes she made on weekends for the both of them.

"LOOK OUT!" Evelyn screeched when a little drone came flying into the kitchen towards Karen.

The super jumped shocked and help up her hands, accidentally creating a portal, sending the drone to who knows where. "What was that?!"

Evelyn stopped in front of her. Her hair tied into a messy bun and her glasses short before falling. "That was my project and now it's-" She held onto the other girl for support, panting. "Now where is it?"

Karen shrugged her shoulders before she adjustet her friends glasses. "Usually I know but..you know..." Her lips formed an innocent grin.

"My inventions really don't like you, huh?" The brunette chuckled and let go of her once she regained her strength and her breathing became slower again.

"For some reason yea."

They laughed together while Karen munched away on her apple.

"Hey whats that?" Evelyn came closer, inspecting her dark blue eye.

"Oh..well. I had a fight."

"What? With who?"

"Some cheerleader at school."

The brunette squinted at her words, grinning slightly. "On your first day."

Karen nodded hesitant.

Evelyn put herself on her tippy toes to wrap an arm around the super. "You're badass, Fields. I need you to tell me everything. This sounds like some serious stuff. I didn't even know anyone could piss you off. You're always so kind and sorted."

A snort came from Karen and she shook her head. "It's hard to tick me off, I know. Tho this girl really got on my nerves and picked on another girl."

"You defended another girl?"

"Yes."

"It's like you were born to be a super."

Karen actually had to blush at her words. She never really thought she was one of the great heros like Elastigirl or Mr. Incredible. She only tried to handle her powers well and save some people without anyone finding out who she was. "Thank you." She muttered quietly.

Evelyn smiled up at her, taking her hand. "Come on, I have to show you something." She lead her up the stairs into her room, dropping herself on her seat.

"Oh..alright...I have to ask you something too." The blue haired girl leaned against the table, looking at the stack of papers on top. It looked like Evelyn was working on the time machine problem the whole day instead of having private lessons like she should.

"Okay?" She arched her brow at Karen.

"Yea but you first."

"Okay okay, as you can see I did some brainstorming." Evelyn rummaged through the pile of papers to find one of her notes. She handed it to her, pointing at the small drawing she made. "I think if we can get your powers under control it will only be a matter of the right construction and then we can get you right back into your time."

Karen smiled toothy, looking at the studies her genius friend made. "That's fantastic! Thank you!" She wrapped her arms around her friend, hugging her tightly.

Evelyn froze at the sudden embrace. She wasn't really used to any kind of physical contact. Sometimes her parents would pull her into a hug here and there but outside of her family she had never gotten this close to anyone. But then she remembered this was her friend. The one person who has been nothing but kind and loving towards her.

The brunette smiled as well and wrapped her arms around her. "My pleasure." She whispered. Part of her was getting sad about having to let Karen go. Even tho she knew she would be by her side again in the future.

Evelyn quickly shook the thought away and pulled back a few inches to look at the super. "You wanted to ask me something?"

"Oh yea!" Karen let go of her, scratching her head. She was afraid of her answer. "I got invited to a party and I...well..." She trailed off a little. "It would be great if you could come with me? I know you don't really do parties and stuff like that but I would really like to take you with me. Moral support and everything."

The girls eyes went wide. She stared at her friend in disbelief. "Are you kidding? I would love to go with you!"

"Really? Thats totally awesome!"

"But-" Evelyn sighed, rubbing her forehead before she adjusted her glasses. "I have never been to a party before..."

Karen waved her worries off. "I will be with you all the time, don't worry. I'm gonna stay by your side and make sure you will be alright."

They shared a smile and the brunette felt a lot better after her words. "Who invited you?"

"Helen." She shrugged as if it was the most logical thing but then she remembered they haven't met each other yet. "A girl from school." She quickly added.

"You're one day at school and you already made tons of friends? You're a wonder kid."

"I didn't. It's another girls party..which I don't know...but apparently a lot of people saw the fight and liked it? I said I would come with you and Gail, the girl I got the black eye for."

Evelyn nodded silently causing Karen to worry again.

"You will totally like both, I'm sure of that." She reached out for her hand. "And if not we can always leave."

The brunetter rolled her eyes at how nice the super was. It felt amazing and gave her a lot of emotions to have a friend like Karen. "Alright."

"Awesome!"