13. How We Continue

A/N: dedicated to SanguineSeductress

Months passed since Gerard and Frank had escaped their cave and discovered its secrets. Somehow they had found little disturbance in the circumstances that had led to it and the matter had easily slipped from their minds, instead being replaced with the subject of their growing relationship. However, the memories weren't completely lost. Whenever someone brought up the subject in front of the men, they would meet each other's gazes and an understanding would cross between them. Frank would remember the awful ache in his head, which he'd discovered after a trip to the hospital was caused by a concussion. Gerard would remember his efforts to free them, and the panic he felt whenever Frank would fall into unconsciousness. And then the couple would remember their declarations to each other and how they kissed for the very first time. The lingering bitterness would dissipate and they'd allow their lips to meet yet again.

Frank had moved into the Way household soon after another severe argument with his parents. Donna and Mikey easily shared their extra space with him as though he'd always lived there, saying he had truly been a part of their family since the instant he'd become friends with Gerard. Despite Mikey's disgust at their affection, he knew the younger man made his brother beyond happy. Obviously so, Gerard adored Frank and loved waking up to him every day, and even more so loved watching him fall asleep when the light of the world was replaced by a colder guardian. The moon would cast its dim rays right over Frank's sleeping face and ignite a passion in Gerard for the younger that was more intense than any other emotion he felt.

Frank's beauty was cold and sharp, but not the kind every person would appreciate. He was rough and edgy. Gerard admired so much more of him than his looks though. The younger's smile was as kind as his heart, and the action made Gerard falter. His lips moved as passionately as his soul was, the ability to push forward and fight with your entire being lived throughout Frank. His brain was always pumping rapidly, snarky comments or random facts ready at the drop of a hat. Gerard loved every detail down to the curve of Frank's smallest toe.

"Sweetheart?" Frank's voice snapped Gerard out of his thoughts. The older man turned to meet his partner's gaze and felt his chest tighten. Sometimes Frank made him feel like he couldn't breathe, as if his heart leaped into his throat every time Frank stared up at him with his doe eyes.

"Yeah, angel?"

"You okay? You were staring off for a little bit, did you hear what I was saying?"

Gerard shook his head no with a sheepish grin. "Sorry. What were you talking about?"

Frank squinted at him as if he wanted Gerard to explain himself, but quickly brushed it off. He scooted closer to his boyfriend and leaned on him, gingerly brushing the sand off their pants. "Just how this area would be cool to live by. Wake up every day to the sunrise, and fall asleep to the sight of the moon." He smiled warmly at the thought, his expression dreamy.

Gerard smirked as a thought entered his mind. He shifted his head so he could whisper into Frank's ear. "I already wake up to my sun and moon, though."

Frank flinched a little at that way Gerard's breath tickled him and couldn't contain his grin. He giggled and shoved Gerard away from him, pulling his sweater up and over his face. "Stoppp itt."

Gerard sprung right back and shoved Frank into the sand, for an instant delighting in the way the younger man looked under him, but forcing himself to stop. He gripped Frank's wrists and pinned them above Frank's head, leaning down to litter his neck with kisses.

"But Frankie," he purred, "it's true. You're my sun, my moon, my stars, and all of my galaxies." Gerard breathed, his lips leaving salvia in a messy trail due to Frank's squirming. "And I would love to live on a beach with you."

"W-What?"

"Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. You totally were hinting at me." Gerard laughed, watching Frank's cheeks fill with a hypnotizing shade of red.

"Oh..." Frank mumbled, chewing on his lip. "I didn't even realize. I guess I just got caught up in my rambling." He pushed Gerard off him, switching their positions so he could lay on top of Gerard, his head over his boyfriend's heart. Gerard, in response, settled his arms right around Frank's hips and pushed the younger forward so he could bury his face in Frank's neck, emitting a squeak from him.

"It wouldn't be on your mind if it wasn't something you subconsciously wanted."

Frank frowned a bit, rolling his eyes at his lover's gimmicks. "I don't think that's how it works, Gee."

Gerard pulled back to eye Frank with sudden anxiety. "Are you saying you wouldn't want to live on a remote beach where we could fuck in the sand every day?"

Frank snorted at Gerard's obscenity. "That's exactly what I'm saying," he retorted. The slight hurt look on Gerard made Frank's heart squeeze, the other man clearly didn't understand his meaning. "Look, it was just an observation, but baby, of course, I'd love to live with you, but not on a beach. It's not punk enough. Anywhere else though, I'd go for you."

Gerard was stuck in a love-dazed state at Frank's confession. He thought his heart would race, Yet somehow he felt completely calm. This was how it was supposed to be. Real, deep love didn't shake you until your teeth rattled, at least it only did in the beginning. It was safe and warm and calm. He wasn't scared of anything and knew his brief fear was foolish. Frank truly loved him, in the same way, Gerard loved him.

"Take me up on that offer, punk?"

"Deal."