Chapter 3

Song: Waiting Game by Banks

Baby I'm thinking it over,
What if the way we started made it something cursed from the start,
What if it only gets colder ...

The next morning I texted Ally I was on my way. When I arrived outside her apartment, she was already waiting outside with her bag.

She was dressed in a white T-shirt, black shorts, and Nike shoes, like the plain Jane she already was. Her wavy hair was tied up into messy bun, making her appear younger than her actual years.

After I picked Ally up, we headed over  to her sister's place.

Eve.

She lived with her husband, Rick, and their two children, son Eason and daughter Alexis, in the Edgewater community, north of downtown Chicago.

They were the stereotypical American middle-class family.

Rick was a successful engineer for a large oil corporation based in the Middle East while Eve was a stay-at-home mom to their children.

Everything appeared to be happy and perfect on the outside, but the truth was the opposite. Underneath the surface, something darker lurked.

I wanted to see Eve's family sink lower than dirt.

I wanted to see them hurt—each and every one of them.

Emotionally.

Mentally.

Physically.

Rick opened the door after we knocked.

There was one flaw this man possessed, one weakness to exploit from—his addiction to illegal gambling in the black market. He  relinquished the unhealthy obsession after marrying Ally's sister, but deep down inside him the craving for that gambling high stilled burned.

Unknown to his wife, his gambling problem had returned in the last few weeks.

And from my inside sources, luck was on his side just as I wanted it to be. He made a few successful bets that unknown to him were the results of mere premeditated coincidences.

He didn't know he could only climb so high to lose it all very soon.

"Hello, Ally," Rick greeted. "It's good to see you." His eyes moved to me, the man standing behind his sister-in-law.

"Hey, Rick." Ally gestured to me. "This is Henry. Henry, this is my brother-in-law Rick."

I held out my hand to him. "Nice to meet you, Rick."

"Same to you, Henry," he responded, grabbing a hold of my hand.

"Auntie!" The two children ran up to Ally.

She dropped to her knees and embraced them on each side as if she was their mother. "Hey, you two."

In this moment, I saw the love and adoration she held for her only niece and nephew.