six!

The following day is a Saturday

The following day is a Saturday. She already misses the comfort of Beauxbatons by midday and is quickly getting more and more irritated with the constant stares as she goes about her business. She's spending as much time as possible with her friends, not knowing when the next time she'll see them is. Maybe before summer, maybe not until August. And for some, not at all. Fleur isn't going to be at Beauxbatons next year and that fact weighs heavily on her mind. And with Fleur leaving, so are many of her friends from that year. Graduating, leaving, getting jobs, becoming busy. And frankly, it worries her. Fleur is about sixty percent of her impulse control and without her... well, Beauxbatons has already seen what happens when Aurelia is left to her own mind and it includes statues singing as people walk by, the Transfiguration of portraits and lots of pranks on just about anyone.

The absence of Fleur makes her think about Dumbledore's proposition. Moving to Hogwarts halfway through is unheard of. Moving school at all is rare. Not to mention she'd have to shop at Diagon Alley for her books because buying the French versions won't do her any good during her theory exams. Some technical terms just don't translate properly.

Regardless, she's trying to enjoy her day. She pushes the stares to the back of her mind, pushes the potential move to Hogwarts away and definitely tries her hardest to ignore Fleur's impending departure from the centre of Aurelia's life. She sits in one of the stone courtyards, an abundance of warming spells cast to keep her warm in the thin satin of her uniform. Fleur sits across from her, the two of them drinking some tea and talking rapidly and quietly in French. People don't bother interrupting them, the two friends gossiping and talking animatedly a familiar sight for Beauxbatons students.

"This summer is going to be great," Aurelia sighs the chill of February still present, even through the warming charms wrapped around her. "The sun, going to Normandy with Mathais, magical shit with Nico, seeing you!"

"Has Mathais made his choice between Hogwarts and Beauxbatons yet?" Fleur asks, her eyes softening at the mention of Aurelia's non-blood brother. He lives in the same orphanage as her, a little French boy who's parents moved over here just before tragically passing away in an accident. He hadn't even had the chance to learn any English before losing his parents. Aurelia was only about six, but she'd always been a quick learner and loved words of any kind. She started learning French in March, three months before Mathais arrived from a halfway home and was fluent by August.

Aurelia rolls her eyes gently. "He hasn't even had his letters yet, Fleur. We don't know if he's going to be invited to Hogwarts."

The blonde girl shrugs. "I don't see why not. He's lived here for most of his life."

"I know, but I do hope he chooses Beauxbatons. He'll fit in there, be able to find out more about his family when he's in France."

"That boy would fit in anywhere," Fleur coos. "He's the sweetest little thing. Won't he miss you if you're here?"

"I still don't know if I'm going here, but it's just another reason to stay at Beauxbatons," she mutters, shaking her head. "Hogwarts doesn't allow weekend visits like Beauxbatons does. They only get to leave one weekend every now and then to go to that little town down the road."

The pair of them see Madame Maxime easily as she exits the carriage. Aurelia checks the time and a frown immediately comes to her face. Fleur's face matches, blue eyes sad and mouth tugged downwards.

"I'll miss you," Fleur says when they both stand, making their way towards the figure of their headmistress. "It just hasn't been the same. I keep turning to tell you something and then remembering that you're not with us."

Aurelia leans against her friend's shoulder as they walk arm-in-arm. "I'll miss you too. I think everyone else might be missing you because you stop me from terrorising them." Fleur laughs, but it's watery and tears are shining in her eyes. "No, don't cry! We won't be apart for that long, I promise!"

They reach Madame Maxime and Aurelia pulls her best friend into a tight hug. "Don't cause too much trouble," she says in mock sternness as she tries to make her tears disappear. "Or else I'll have to come back just to make you set things right."

"Is that supposed to make me stop, or...?" Aurelia asks playfully. "Write to me often?"

"I wouldn't dream of doing anything else," Fleur promises. Madame Maxime smiles at two of her favourite students.

"Come, Aurelia. We have to go," she says gently, large hand on her shoulder. Aurelia sends Fleur a final smile, this one weaker than the others. She begins the trek up to the castle so that she can use the Floo in Dumbledore's office. They're quiet on their way up, the halls almost completely deserted since most people are in class.

When they enter the office, Dumbledore is sat at his desk, shuffling through papers. He looks up and smiles at them both.

"Ah, Miss Riddle. How have you found Hogwarts?" he asks, his voice staying as casual as he can keep it.

"It's rather cold," she comments stonily. "I much prefer the warmth of Beauxbatons. I've never had to use a warming charm there."

"Of course, cold can be adapted to," he reminds her.

She sets her eyes on his firmly. "Yes, but why would I adapt to it when I attend a school somewhere much warmer? Besides, I'm excited to be returning to Beauxbatons. People don't stare there."

It's with this that she identifies the fireplace with the Floo Powder next to it. She takes one step towards it when Dumbledore speaks again.

"I really think you should give greater consideration to attending Hogwarts next year," he says gravely. "Things are stirring, Aurelia, and I would hate for you to be isolated from the community you belong to when it happens."

"I really think that you should give greater consideration to my autonomy, Professor," she spits in return. "I belong to the French community much more than the British one. I don't want to change schools, I don't want to decrease my workload and I certainly don't want to be stuck in a school where everyone will judge me based on one last name that I happen to be stuck with. Now, if you'll excuse me, I do actually have lessons to attend at my school. Thank you for having me, I hope I don't have to come back." She seizes a handful of the green powder and steps into the fireplace, dropping it and calling out Madame Maxime's office before disappearing in a emerald green flame.

Silence covers the office in a blanket for a moment before Madame Maxime speaks.

"The more you push her now, the more reluctant she will be to consider your offer. I warned you that she's stubborn and that she's happy. She won't give that up for whatever threat you perceive is coming," she says stiffly.

"The threat that I perceive," he answers, "is her father, Madame Maxime. This is not a question of her stubbornness or happiness. It is a question of her safety and her allegiance."

"She is but a child, Dumbledore. I refuse to discuss this again without Aurelia here," she demands. "Good day." And with that the large woman turns and exits the office, wondering what her father could have to do with anything after so many years of nothing.