✞ siete ✞

California heat waves have no mercy, but the sun's beating rays were more gentle today. There was a cool breeze in the morning as Salvatrice and her father started their day. Having a nice breakfast together, Sally was in a mood she hasn't felt in quite some time. There were no worries in between her brows, no tension on her shoulders. She was looking forward to this nice day out, even looking forward to seeing Marko at the end of the day.

       Last night after the introductions to the other boys, there was a return of closeness to the curly-haired boy. After feeling shut out of his world, their night together it reminded the raven-haired girl of the softness inside that leather jacket exterior. 

There was still so much Marko needed to tell her. Taking heed of David's word, he returned that night to the cave to find jokes and snickers from the others about what to do with Sally. It wasn't going to be the last time they'd meet, David would make sure of that.

       Being able to let her hair down today, it contrasted with the white button up tee she picked from the back of her closet. Grabbing her huarache sandals, the folded yellow paper containing the list of errands for their day, Sally scratched the head of their family cat on her way out.

"Hasta luego, Tigre."

        She smiled as the old cat purred. With its warm, yellow eyes, it watched from the windowsill as the girl left the house and met up with her father, who was already waiting in the car. Behind sunglasses, she watched everything they passed. The sun followed them as the windows were rolled down all the way, letting hair fly every which way. Señor Velasco made fun of his daughter's wild long locks, claiming the wind made it fly into his mouth. Sally just laughed and apologized, holding onto her hair so it wouldn't be as crazy in the wind. Her more youthful fashion in glasses, looking at her father who wore shades fashionable from his time. She was excited for today. This is definitely a day deserved.

       Driving into town, leaving early was worth it. The crowd of the farmers market had not yet been filled with its afternoon bustle. 

      Their arms, holding baskets filling up with fresh fruits and vegetables. Her father tried to bargain with one of the booth owners on the price of their eggs, so Sally headed over to a stand just across the way.

      Rows of beautiful fruits, baskets and baskets bright red strawberries, soft peaches that give off a mild heavenly aroma. What brought her over, what caught her eye, was the selection of golden mangoes. She thought to herself, admiring a piece she picked up, that these would be perfect to bring her mother at the hospital later today.

        When she was younger, hot summer days like the ones they've just had, Sally's mother would share the fruit they let their daughter pick out at the market. The selection was always refreshing after a day of play. She would bite into the pieces, making its juice run down her chin. Mother would help wipe it off before it became sticky and irritable for the younger child, Laughing after receiving kisses, saying that they made the little girl more sweet.

       Her father said she was doing well, hopefully well enough that the three of them could talk over summer fruit like they used to.  

        "Do you need any help, ma'am?" 

       A voice came from the body of a young man who approached Sally from the other side of the stand. Removing her sunglasses, she met eyes with a face she hadn't seen in a hot minute. 

         "Ma'am?"  Sally chuckled in a somewhat disbelief tone, staring at the young man with the dark, messy teddy boy-like pompadour. "Angelito Socorro calling me Ma'am?"

         "Hey, now, take it easy Sal- I didn't recognize you for a second! Behind all that Dark Lady hair and glasses... and it's just Angel, now. I think I've outgrown that Angelito business, don't ya think?"

     He crossed his arms, nodding at the girl. He wasn't wrong, he had grown out the title of Little Angel, his defined arms bulging slightly from the rolled up sleeves of his plain red shirt.

       Sally sucked on her teeth with a small eye roll. "I don't think I can possibly call you anything else- Angelito, who at fourth of July barbeques would put all kinds of flowers and daisies in my hair, to then pull it out once anyone else noticed."

        "Yeah, yeah," Angel scoffed off with a smirk. He was already grabbing a bag for all sorts of fruit. "It's been awhile, huh? How are things going for you post-graduation?"

        "Good, it's been good." She nodded, pushing back hair behind her ear. "I've been spending a lot of time at the store, you know, watching it for my folks."

         "Oh." Small and softly came from Angel, who all of a sudden change from his playful tone to one of sympathy. "How is your mom?"

        "Hey, don't worry about it much." Sally told Angel with a smile, "My dad said she's doing a lot better. We're visiting her this afternoon, actually!"

       "That's great to hear, Sal." He smiled after being assured, then handed over a full bag of produce. "Then you can show her all these when you see her."

       Her eyes widened at the stuffed bag as she reached over to receive it. It was heavier than it looked, as she hugged it between two arms. Angel previously holding it over with only one hand was misleading.

      "Oh wow! What a selection!" With one free hand, she managed to reach to her pocket and pull out some money. "What do I owe ya?"

       Angel looked at the money, before taking it and putting it back into the pocket of her pants. 

     "Hey- Que nada. It's a gift, alright?"

    "Angelito, no, I couldn't do that!  Let me at least repay you, this is more than plenty."

"I'll tell you what, Sal, you still hang around the boardwalk? Well whenever you're done today, come find me, eh? We can catch up a bit on yknow. Things like life n'stuff."

"Yeah, alright." She paused, giving a quick moment to think about it.  

She didn't have any plans after the hospital, so it would be nice to have a little company before whenever Marko and his friends decide to roam the boardwalk on their bikes.

 "I'll see you around."