✞ nueve ✞

Salvatrice could only hear the sound of her heartbeat, it was almost as if the repetition coming from her chest was louder than the roaring of motorcycles steering at full speed. 

enough to the point to bring the young girl out of her trance and nearly fall off the boy's bike. Her stomach started turning into unbelievable sleeves of knots that finally reached her throat.

"I want to get off."

Her tone was pointed as if she were to lecturing a child, but Marko didn't budge. "Hey! Did you hear me?" She hit the side of his tough leather jacket, wondering if he even felt that. "I said I want to get off! Marko, stop! You're going to-!"

With a screeching halt that lifted her slightly off her seat, Sally didn't realize Marko separated from his friends. 

Picking out the long hairs that stuck to the corners of her lips, she gazed around their surroundings. A private beach, close to where her home was. No one ever came to this location, it was another tucked away secret of the California neighborhood.

She had relaxed the tight grip she had against Marko's body, while he still held a tight grip on the handlebars. His head sulks down and his body remained still, the complete opposite to the girl's rising and falling chest.

"Well, you said you wanted to get off!" He then snapped back to the side at the girl, "Nearly killing yourself by getting thrown off, throwing a damn tantrum like a baby!"

She couldn't believe her ears, blinking in disbelief as she quickly shook her head, "Oh, I'm the one throwing a tantrum? Like you didn't just kidnap me off the boardwalk in front of the general public? Almost getting into a fight with my friend? You know how word gets around, it's not long until my parents find out!"

Marko grumbled in annoyance, topping it off with a scoff at his girlfriend. Releasing his white knuckles and sliding a leg over the seat, he made his way to the shoreline and looked as if he was digging into his pockets. Leaving Sally on the bike, she watched the boy as he found what he was searching for, seeing a big cloud of exhaled smoke being carried away with the breeze. 

Marko doesn't smoke, she kept to herself, adding it onto the list of more things that have been strange since he's been back into her life. 

Marko doesn't smoke, Marko doesn't have such unreleased anger, Marko used to never keep things from her. 

"Is this about my parents?" She voiced from their separated distance. Sally moved to a more comfortable seating at the front of his bike, turning so her legs would dangle off the one side facing Marko and the water. "No." Was the only thing the blond spoke clearly, the curls on his head not even flinching. 

"About Angel?"

The second 'No.' from him held slight hesitation, but it came delivered in the same demeanor as his previous response. 

A silence grew over the beach, Sally sat on the bike, biting her lip, trying to organize her thoughts. Marko still faced away, watching the rising water, mustering up any words to break the silence. Only to have turned and find the girl gone. She hadn't gone far, still in plain eyesight, but somehow managed to quietly make a few yards away from the spot. 

"Sally," Marko called her name, taking another drag of his cigarette. "Sally, c'mon, stop playing!"

She kept walking, almost as if she put more force in her step to get further away. 

"C'mon! Don't be stupid! You might run into some weirdos hidin' in the shadows or somethin'."

Salvatrice would throw a comment saying Marko is the only weirdo in the shadows around these parts, instead she kept walking uphill towards her house. She just wanted to lay on her bed and hide under the covers. There were too many things out of her control, so much anger that exhausted her from missed opportunities. Her time on that bench earlier that day brought her to clarity. In that instant, when her feet touched the ground after sliding off Marko's bike, she realized there's no going back to what they once were. Her mom's health was a priority, going back to school and back into her writing, surrounded by friends. Possibly even friends like Angel. She needed to be surrounded by people who wanted to live.

Marko wasn't expected to read her mind. 

How absent he's been, it wasn't until recently she decided to listen to those who suggested she should move on. That entire time spent pushing away the thought that maybe her parents were right, Marko was becoming who everyone expected him to be: a trouble-making beach bum with no secure ground to stand on.

For Sally thinking she could give him some sense of home and comfort was a waste of effort. She can't keep up with his fast lifestyle of no responsibilities.

"Why don't we crash a party or somethin', huh? That's what we need! Just to have a good time! Some good music, some drinks, a-and I'm sure we can catch up with the boys-"

The tinkling sound of all the things hanging off Marko's jacket caught up to the girl. He scurried circles around her, throwing everything that came to mind that would get her to stay.

"I don't want to." Was all she said, trying not to look at his face.

"You don't have to drink then, that's okay-"

"I said," She huffed, as the boy stood right in front of her, now one step ahead in whichever way she tried to swerve. "I  don't want to." Pushing him aside, he tried reaching for her hand. He missed.

She was so close, but he wasn't quick enough for her step back.

"Well, where the hell are you going?

Their voices began to raise, projecting their feud to the other houses with beachfront

"HOME." She snapped, "Don't follow me."

Staring down at the cigarette between his fingers, he took a drag before flicking it to the uphill dirt path. The girl was out of sight and he unclenched his jaw. He wanted to run up and defy her wish of wanting to be left alone. No more excuses, he thought for a second, before realizing his impulsiveness this time would do far more damage than it ever has. If they were to truly be together, Marko would have to carry out David's unspoken orders.

"Shit." Marko hissed, slumping and stomping his way back to his bike. Revving it harshly, he created a large gust of sand and dirt behind him.