Tension

Word Count : 307
________

Word Count : 307________

"Hey, Dean. What do you think things are gonna be like when we grow up?" Sam asked, sitting on the impala. He watched as Dean polished guns while sitting on a tree stump. "I know we're hunters and all but.... I wanna go to college. I wanna do more. And be more then just a hunter. Don't you?"

"We've already talked about this, Sam. You have to hunt. You can't go to college." Dean replied, not looking up at Sam. He heard Sam sigh frustratedly. John and Sam had been arguing constantly lately. Sam was being more rebellious and talking back more.

"And why not? Because Dad said so?" Sam sighed, scoffing a bit.

"Don't disrespect Dad." Dean replied, finally looking at Sam. He gave Sam a firm look, letting him know he meant what he said.

Sam looked down, not saying anything else for a while. He got off of the impala and got into the car, laying down in the backseat. Dean came back around after a bit to check on him. He peeked his head in through the window, looking down at where Sam was laying in the car.

"I'm sorry, Sam. I wish you could have the life you wanted." Dean said sympathetically.

"It's okay. I know I'll never have it. And that's okay. I've learned to accept it." Sam said sadly. He loved school and he deeply wanted to go to college. He aspired to do something more with his life. But he knew that it couldn't be. Sam hoped maybe one day he could branch apart from the hunting life.

Dean's voice broke him away from his thoughts. "You wanna get some food?"

"Yeah, sure." Sam replied, sitting up and buckling his seatbelt. He hated the way things were but at least he had his big brother.