02 - Queen of the Court

"One more." you whisper sweating beating down your forehead, and you looked at your practice partner and nodded at them, "One more time." you repeated and they looked at you worriedly. 

"(Y/N)-chan, I think thats enough," Yui chimed in being the Captain, and your senpai you nodded embarrassed that she even had to say that to you.

"Gomen, minna." you hung your head but Yui quickly patted you on the back and smiled at you.

"It's okay, you can go home early! I think that boys are done for today as well, so ya' know," she nudged you and your face heated up. 

"Y-Yui-senpai!" you yelled and she laughed.

You gathered you things and looked at your team. You had disappointed them today, at least that's how you felt you did. You looked longingly at their practice, you wanted to sweat, you wanted to run. You didn't like missing out bonding with them. They meant so much to you. You cluched your t-shirt, it hurt. You would get better, you had to get better.

As your hands balled into a fist around your gym bag, you sighed heavily worrying that you'd never improve and only get worse.

"(Y/N)-chan," Your head shot up to the familiar voice.

"Ah, To-chan." you said instinctively.

"Tch. Didn't I tell you not to call me that?" he gave you one of his well-known glares and you just put on a fake smile for him.

Of course he saw right through that, "Hm? Is something--"

"No, I'm just tired, did you have a short practice?" you asked trying to change the subject.

"Y-Yeah, just for today though. And you, I don't see the rest of your team going home?"

"Ah, yeah. I got kicked out of practice."

"What did you do!?" he asked shocked and a bit worried.

"I didn't mean it like that. They just told me to go home early, I apparently was 'working myself too hard'," you said putting the quotes around it and everything, but secretly you agreed with them you knew exactly why you were too.

"You do that a lot, actually." he bluntly said, and you shot him a look.

It wasn't your fault, you've saw him in a game once when you were both in middle school. The way he played was beautiful,  and you've been into the game ever since. King of the Court they called him, you've seen they way he used to yell at his teammates but you're glad that he now changed to the way he used to be. Happy.

"You should be more careful, okay?" you looked into his eyes and smiled he was actually worried, how cute.

You punched his arm, "You shouldn't tell me what to do, doofus." He rubbed his arm lightly then pat you on the head, your face heated up in response. You hated the effect he had on you, he was your rival, you couldn't feel this way about him.

But to no avail your heart still beat twice as fast, "We're practicing with you guys tomorrow, maybe you could try to show me up then?" he teased and you jabbed him in the ribs.

"You're an ass!" you yelled but in your head you were determined. You would finally beat him. You'd finally prove yourself.

---

"A scrimmage?" you suggested aloud, and everyones heads turned to you.

"Eh?" Suwamura-san asked and looked to Yui-senpai. 

"I don't think it'd be very fair," He continued and Yui frowned at him.

"What do you mean?" she asked.