Chapter One

It was a Friday night, we'd started filming again, and things were going good in the YouTube industry of Shane Dawson.

"Do you think you'll be able to stay the night so that we can start editing as soon as we wrap?" Shane walks into the editing room, sitting back down in his chair, handing me a drink. "You wanted this one, right?"

"Tonight?" I take the drink, remembering that I'd promised Garrett and movie night, Shane looks at me, hopeful eyes. "I was supposed to hang out with Garrett tonight..."

"Oh... Oh! Well, that's okay!" Shane smiles, nodding his head.

"But I can see if he wants to hang out here?" I watch as Shane turns around quickly, nodding his head.

"Really??" I nod my head, pulling out my phone.

"Yeah, just let me text him, but it should be fine." I maneuver my way through my phone, finding Garrett's name quickly.

Shane needs me to edit tonight, do you want to come over to his place and hang out?

"You know, I think this new series we did is so interesting," I set my phone to the side and wait for his response, "Editing is going to be a bitch though, we have so much footage." Shane nods

"I know, I wish we could just piece it all together and upload it right now." I laugh at the idea, that'd be too easy.

"You really don't think we'll get sued? Because I don't think I can afford that." Shane shakes his head, sipping his Diet Coke.

"I already talked to the lawyers, and even if anyone tried, I'd make sure you weren't swept up in it." I smile, marveling at Shane's kindness, he really was the best. "So, do you want to start with the beginning footage?" He turns back to his computer, pulling up the footage from a few months ago.

"Sounds good," I check my phone to see if Garrett's texted back, he hasn't which was a little odd, he normally responded pretty quickly. I brush it off and get back to my computer, "I guess Garrett will come over when he gets my text." Shane nods and returns to his computer.

I couldn't help but feel guilty for bailing on Garrett, we'd planned this a couple of days ago and I knew he was looking forward to it. I check my phone again, but still no response. I wonder if I should call him, but I figured he was busy, so I decided to wait a little longer. I put in my headphones and start editing, already regretting my decision to stay. I was over today, I'd barely slept last night, and I honestly had been looking forward to spending some time with Garrett, it'd felt like we hadn't hung out just us two in months. I hated it, and I knew that Garrett wasn't a fan of distance. I check my phone again, hoping that maybe I'd missed his text, or accidentally opened it without reading it, but when I checked there was nothing there.

"Do you think I should call him?"

"Who?"

"Garrett."

"Oh... I mean, yeah, if you want to, is there something wrong?" Shane looks over from what he's doing, and I can see that he's concerned. I shake my head quickly,

"No, nothing's wrong, I'm just worried because he usually texts me back pretty soon after I text him, and I still haven't heard from him." Shane nods his head,

"I haven't either actually, it's been a while since we've talked. I feel bad," Shane pouts out his lip, "I feel like he never comes around anymore..." I nod my head, we'd talked about that a couple of weeks ago, and back then, Garrett had promised to come around more at my request.

"Me too," I sigh, looking down at my phone, still nothing, "I always ask him to come over and hang out, but he always tells me he's busy."

"You should call him," Shane nudges, now seeming a little more concerned about our friend than he'd seemed earlier. "I feel bad for asking you to stay, ugh." I shake my head, knowing all too well that it'd been my fault for canceling on him. I click Garrett's contact and wait.