Chapter Five

I felt bad for sending that text to Ricky and immediately regretted sending it. I only prayed that Garrett didn't see it or find out about it. I scroll through the footage, trimming and stabilizing film, living the dream.

"So, how are you and Garrett?" I look up from my screen, long enough to make eye contact with Shane, he stares at me carefully, and I knew that he could tell something was wrong.

"Good, we're good." I try to keep my response short, but I know he won't buy it, I mean it was Shane, I could never hide anything from him.

"Andrew," he gives me a look and turns his full attention on me.

"Really, we're good."

"Okay, so what's wrong then? Are you tired? Hungry? You're not yourself, you didn't even laugh when Ryland came out wearing that jumpsuit thing. I shrug my shoulders,

"I didn't want to be rude,"

"Okay, fine, look, I'm not trying to pry, but I can tell that something's wrong, let me help?"

"Somethings off."

"Okay..."

"With me, I mean, something's changed, something's different and I don't know what." Intrigued, Shane leans forward.

"How so?"

"I don't know, all I know is that something's different."

"Well, when did you notice it?" I lean back in my chair, really thinking on it, I rack my mind until I realize.

"Friday night."

Garrett. Garrett was behind this, I didn't know how, and I didn't know why, but for some reason, I knew that it was Garrett.

"As in a few days ago?" I nod my head, still thinking hard.

"Yeah..."

"Do you think... Well, that was when you canceled on Garrett, do you think he has anything to do with it?" Shane's getting close, too close. I shrug my shoulders,

"I don't know, hey, I'm thirsty do you want anything from the fridge?" I get up from my chair, checking my phone as I do so.

Oops. – Ricky

"Damnit," I mutter, not realizing I'd said it out loud.

"What's wrong?"

"I... I have to go, there's something I need to take care of, I'm sorry." Shane follows me out.

"Wait, what? What's happening? Andrew!"

"It's just, it's something with Garrett, I gotta go, I'll text you later."

"So, wait it is Garrett? He's the thing that's making you feel this way? Wait, do you like him?"

"I don't have time, I don't, I don't know. I think so."

"Wait, really?"

"Yes, no, yes, I don't know, Shane, I really have to go."

"Okay, well, be careful?" I nod my head,

"Don't worry, it's nothing crazy, I just, I can't explain, I have to go though." He nods his head, understanding finally that I can't tell him, although I wish I could.

"Just call me later? I think you should talk about this more."

"I will. Thanks." I leave the house quickly, making my way to the car. I call Garrett, annoyed when it rings and then goes to voicemail. "Fuck, Garrett," I mutter, sick and tired of hearing his voicemail.