now we just pretend

the sound of the city roars around me yet the clicking of my heels against the concrete is louder than it all. 

i grip the coffee cup tighter in my hand as someone knocks into my shoulder. "watch where you're going" i mutter. 

i sigh out of happiness when i enter the officer building. "hello miss arroyo nice to see you" the door man, nate, says. "it's going to be a good day nate" i reply, with a smile. 

the elevator dings and the metal doors open. i step inside and smile as people follow in behind me. 

"what floor?" 

"top floor, thank you" i reply. 

"girl you need to hide" my coworker and best friend, rosie, says. she grabs my arm and pulls me towards the dining area. "um care to tell me what's going on?" i ask with raised eyebrows. 

i unbutton my jacket as she sighs loudly. "he's here" she says. 

oh. 

"well he's still signed to the label. we both knew that" i respond. i throw my jacket over my arm and pull my skirt down with my free hand. "yes, but he's here with someone. he's introducing his girlfriend." 

i feel my heart drop to my stomach. "oh- uh.." 

from the corner of my eye i see my artist stepping out of the elevator. "i don't care. i'm negotiating a big deal for liz in an hour." 

"if you'll excuse me" i say before charging for my desk. 

focus. focus on your job ari. he doesn't care about you, so why care about him? 

"ariana!" 

i look up and smile. "hey richard, how are you?" 

he smiles back, "i've been good. it's been a while." 

i sigh, "i know i'm sorry. things have just been.. weird." his face forms into a frown, "yeah i know.. sorry about that." 

"not your fault." 

he pulls his phone out of his pocket when it beeps loudly. "i've got to go. we have a meeting in five. i'll uh see you around. it'd be nice to catch. all of us miss you..." 

"yeah that'd be nice." 

from joel: are you at the office? 

no. 

no, no, and no. 

i am not going to answer. 

my phone buzzes again, but i ignore it. i look over my speech for the meeting and repeat the words internally. 

buzz 

buzz

buzz

buzz

"seriously?" i groan. everyone goes silent and stares at me. "ha, sorry." 

from joel: i'm here 

from joel: we're talking over tour details 

from joel: i want to see you 

from joel: want to talk 

my chest tightens just reading over the words. my phone buzzes in my hand. 

from joel: i miss you 

to joel: you have a girlfriend, don't you? 

from joel: yes and i'd like you to meet her 

to joel: why? 

from joel: please. we're friends above all. 

to joel: no, we're not. you know this. 

from joel: please

to joel: i said no. leave me alone. 

from joel: ari.. 

to joel: no

a/n: can you all leave more comments? please :) just so know if you are liking the direction and what your reactions are.