//Chapter Five//

"Living life means takin chances, and each time you do, you gain something more"-Keith

____________

Keith sat on his bed, lance's bed sheet wrapped around him like a blanket, except it was over his head like a hood as well. It's milky white tint gave off a vibe Keith kind of enjoyed. It made him feel a bit safer. 

The cuban boy was sitting right across from him, just watching him with eyes that keith recognized, as a few people had been having the same look when he passed them, in his neighborhood. It was a look of worry. He wondered why.

"Okay buddy" Lance started, clearing his throat with unease. You could sense he wanted information by the way he struggled to hold back on his words, and he kept a hand on Keith's shoulder to reassure him, "Talk to me."

At first, Keith was unsure what he meant, but after a moment it dawned on him what he meant. He turned his head a little to look out the window, and wished the bird would come back so he could show lance.

"Keith" Lance put his other hand on Keith's free shoulder, concerned. There was a new spark in his eyes that made Keith pay attention. He felt his throat tie in a painful knot that hurt to swallow, and made his eyes water. He blamed it on his pills.

Only when he started talking, did he wish he didn't. It was shaky, and his emotions flowed out like a river, "My parents were murdered by a robber. The robber was going to kill me, but i stabbed him in the arm, and alarmed my parents. The robber ran outside after they threatened him, and he ended up stabbing them. I couldnt save them. Its my fault. Its my fault."

"Keith, its not your fault" Lance started, but Keith turned his head sharply, his eyes raged and full of tears, "It is my fault! If i hadn't alarmed my parents-"
"Then you'd be the one dead!" Lance shouted, which earned an even more angered glare from Keith, "I wish i did die!"

There was silence amongst the two for a while, before lance took Keith's hand, shakily, "K..Keith.. why.. why would you ever say that.?" He spoke softly, in a tone that somehow seemed to settle Keith's anger. Keith wondered how lance could be so gentle, and tightened his own grip on lance's hand.

"I'd..rather myself had died, than my parents" Keith said, his eyes locked and his and lance's hand. Half of him was too scared to look Lance in the eyes, and half of him wondered why he enjoyed holding it.

Lance gave a sigh, and crawled over beside Keith, so that they sat side by side. He looked to Keith, dead in the eyes, and spoke with firmness, "You'd better not die on me. Your parents died so you could live, so don't waste their efforts."

Keith felt like he was hit with a rock, in the head. His tears came without warning, and his sobs racked into the warm, dry air. He stayed that way till lance hugged him with one arm, his face tinted a light red, and said, "Live for me then, okay?"

Keith blinked, looking at him in complete confusion. Tears stained his eyes, as he looked towards the window again. The bird was back, but this time it seemed to be sitting under a leaf, happy. He looked at lance, and gently moved the blanket over his head. He felt happy, like the bird. The blanket was the leaf, and lance was his happiness.

****

It wasn't until Keith heard Lance's snoring, did he realize he had been thinking for a long time. His mind had trailed off to his feelings. He couldn't quite grasp what it was that caused these feelings of happiness and security, but he cherished it, and knew he had to find the source eventually.

Lance shifted a little, his head falling onto Keith's shoulder, and Keith stiffened a little, unsure of what to make of this situation. He turned his head a little examined the boy's face, how it was tinted the slightest bit pink, just enough so it looked like it blended with his skin, and he admired how long lance's eyelashes were.

Wait. Keith blinked, and looked to the ceiling confused, why am i thinking these thoughts? He wondered to himself. He looked back to lance, and really asked himself; Keith, be real here buddy. So you come to this hospital, not even seeking a roommate, let alone a friend, and now you suddenly.. like them..?

He gave a sigh. No matter how much he tried to get around it, it was evident that he liked this boy. And the feeling wasn't leaving.