//Chapter Six//

"And with that, you rise my dear!"~Lance

__________

It was quiet. Awfully quiet. Dreadfully quiet. Keith hated this. Why? Because this was the sound present, when lance was at physical therapy. He hated the loneliness, and most of all, he hated the silence.

His eyes locked onto lance's empty bed, which was still ruffled and a complete disaster from the last time lance was in it. This amused Keith, as he knew that lance was a very loud sleeper, as well as one to roll around, and even fall off his bed sometimes.

"Mr. Kogane?"

Keith turned his head to look at the entranceway, calmer than normal. He recognized one of the nurses, Mrs. Bird, who used to be very nervous around him. She'd grown to be likable, and from time to time, lance and him would make conversation with her. She was very artistic too, he found out, and had two daughters named Lizzy and Abby.

"Whats up?" Keith asked, turning so he sat on the edge of the bed to look at her better. He noticed the small frown on her face as she spoke, "Well, you are free to check out of the hospital now. Your wounds are all healed up nicely. Although, you do need to take your pills still."

Keith felt his heart drop down into his stomach. He, for some reason, dreaded leaving. He put a hand to the back of his neck, "O-Oh.. well.. thats uh.. thats great news" he murmured, looking at a piece of dust on the floor that moved with every step Mrs. Bird took.

She forced a little smile, "Hey, don't fret mister Kogane, I'm sure you can stay a few nights as a guest to hang out with Lance" she stated, picking up a few papers from beside lance's desk, reading over them.

Keith grinned a little, "Yeah, thats true" he replied, and stood up to gather some of his things, only to pause as Mrs. Bird seemed to freeze up. She looked a little pale.

"Mrs. Bird? You alright?" He asked, walked over slowly, only to be stopped as she quickly turned around with the papers, "Oh! Yes! Im alright! Ive just.. forgot about a patient! Ill be back!" She grinned a fake smile, one that Keith could see right through, and headed out the door, leaving Keith to wonder what was going on in her head.

It was awfully quiet. Dreadfully quiet.

****

Keith grinned when he saw Lance enter the room, and stood up to greet him, only to be met with a frown and dull eyes. He watched Lance hobble over to his bed, and flop onto his back.

Keith coughed on his breath, which was caught in his throat painfully. He didn't know what to say to the cuban boy, who didnt make a single sound nor word.

Eventually, Lance spoke up, "The nurses say im not getting any better" he sighed, "They say i may be unable to walk right for the rest of my life."

Keith looked away, pained. He had no idea what to say. He's never exactly helped someone before, (especially with kind words).

He finally took a deep breath, and sat on the edge of his bed, "Hey, uh.. lance.." he started, "What uh.. what do we want?"

Lance looked at keith, obviously not getting that this was Keith trying to make a joke. Keith continued, nervously, sweat dripping down his forehead.

"Low flying planes" he cleared his throat, still nervous, "A-And uh.. when do we want them?" He asked, and Lance seemed to understand that this was a joke now, turning fully so he could look at Keith, "I dont know. When?"

Keith grinned, and made his hand swoop like a plane, "Nnneeeeooooowwwww" he laughed, sweat dripping down his face, which was bright red. There was silence among the two boys, before lance began to laugh. The laughing gradually got louder.

"Oh..Oh my GOD! I get it!" He snorted, "Its "now" but with a plane noise!" He continued to laugh, half his body now hanging off the bed.

Keith felt relief wash over himself, and he began to laugh to, "Well now its not that funny! If you explain it, it doesnt make it funny!" He smiled, reaching out his hand to lance, to help him up. Lance swatted his hand away with another snort of laughter.

"Shut up Mullet, its still funny" he pouted, but it made it hard when he was laughing. After about a minute longer of the two laughing, lance began to wave his arms around wildly, trying to get back up onto the bed by himself. Keith grabbed his hand and helped up, which he would have done before.

Lance wiped tears from his eyes, from laughing so hard, and looked at Keith, who began to speak. Keith gave a small smile, "Things will work out okay? I'll help you practice walking, so youll get double the practice, alright? How does that sound?"

Lance gave a squeal of happiness and hugged Keith, "Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!-"
"Calm down" Keith cackled, pushing against the cuban boy's forehead so he could see his face. He admired the red tint to it.

Lance looked up at Keith and smiled, "thank you" he said, after he'd calmed himself. Keith smiled softly and lowered his head, feeling as if it wasn't even him acting out, and kissed lance on his forehead. Half of him was glad he did. The other half.. screamed internally.

Lance's face, he noticed, turned a bright red, and he blinked a few times, before looking up at keith again, "..did.. did you just..?"

Keith turned his head to look away. He wanted to find the dust speck from earlier, "No" he said firmly, which only earned a loud squeal from Lance, "you did! Ahaha! Dang it you take forever"

Keith paused, then looked at him in confusion, "What? What do you mean?" He asked. Lance gave a grumble.

"Idiot. I like you, alright?"