//Chapter Eleven//

"Lets get through today and fly into tomorrow, yeah?"-Keith
_______________________________

Keith had hoped he'd be able to sit by lance's side the entire time, but he found himself sitting outside of a nearby office, watching his legs kick back and fourth underneath his chair, and feeling the clutch and release of his hands on the chair. His mind was uneasily quiet as the world around him seemed to be a but hazy.

There was a few more moments of silence before he stood, eyeing the door to the room where lance was taken. There were no windows, and the room seemed to be sound proof. Keith found himself angered at this, and rested his ear against the door, closing his eyes to listen. He could make out a few voices, but they were muffled;

"Yeah. Its just like we suspected, Lance. Im so sorry", a voice spoke. It sounded ragged, vowels dragged out in uneasy anticipation. There were beats of quiet, then what sounded like crying echoed in the room. Keith felt his throat clench, as if he couldnt breathe. He recognized the sobs coming from Lance. Why is he crying? What is going on?

There was more movement from inside the doors, then the timid voice of miss bird faded in, "Im so sorry Lance. We're trying everything we can, but we suspect a year at most. The crash was a sign of it happening. We-"
There was a quick movement, and a slight thud, "I want to see Keith now. Let me leave."

Keith stepped back from the door quickly, his heartbeat seeming to steal his head, and he backed up into his seat again. His eyes locked onto the dents in the floor, and he barely realized his hands, which began to turn white as they clutched the seat. A year? A year for what?

The door opened, and keith jolted his head up, only to have his eyes meet with Mrs. Bird. He felt his teeth clench together, "Lance..?" He asked, almost pleading for some indication that he was just going crazy, and hearing things. Mrs. Bird only shook her head softly, "Im sorry Keith. Lance has Heart Failure. We didnt realize until we figured out there isnt much we can do. We suspect he has a year at most to live"

Keith felt like he'd just been hit by a truck. He felt his body freeze up, his breath caught in his lungs. His arms and legs began to tremble as he stood up slowly, his eyes leaving Mrs. Bird and trailing to the room where lance was.

"A.. A year?" He breathed, "Thats not long at all.. he.. he said he got drunk, and that's how he crashed" Keith found himself scrambling for a different answer, "Right? So that has to be it-"

"He did drink, but that only added to the condition" Mrs. Bird spoke, her eyes dim with sorrow, "I am truly sorry. Let me take you back to your room. Lance is to be taken immediately to get medications and be watched over"

Keith could barely think, his whole body going numb. He tried to take a breath, but he barely noticed the air enter his lungs. It took a moment before he realized he had began to cry, his sobs echoing down the hallway like a broken record.

He couldnt imagine this happening. But it broke every fiber of his being when he watched lance pass him, and realized just how broken he was too. Lance's eyes were no longer glowing, and Keith now noticed how incredibly exhausted he looked, and how pitiful it looked to see him walk down the hallway with the help of a nurse. Keith realized lance had been watching him as he left, and Keith felt a pulse through his body as he quickly ran after lance and scooped him up in a hug, ignoring the tiny look of annoyance from the helping nurse.

The two boys cried together, and they both realized things were not going to be the same for much longer.