Chapter 14: The Glass Below My Feet

0856 hours March 1st, 2160

Ruins of the Destiny Colony, Dreadnought III, Master System

The thin layer of glass shattered and cracked under the weight of my boot. I looked down and saw the distorted reflection of my face on the brittle stuff. Just a few weeks ago, this was the courtyard of a hospital, and over to the East a few miles was a school, and a playground, and a neighborhood full of Innocent families. Now, they're all gone. All dead now. I looked back at the Incolma ship I used to get here. I was only here waiting for my brother to come and get me. I felt weird breathing the air now, it had a metallic taste to it. Dreadnought was one of the planets with an atmosphere make up close enough to Earth that breathers were not necessary. I ran my left hand through my thick, curly hair and let out a sigh.

I walked into the hospital, covered in soot and dust and ashes. I walked through the hall that I had used as cover while fighting the aliens the first time I'd come face to face with them. I stepped on something that rolled my ankle, sending my stumbling further down. "Oh, Damnit!" I looked back and saw a skull resting next to the body armor that had a strange new color to it. I walked over to it and gazed in amazement of how little damage it looked like it had taken in the fires that killed this planet. I picked the skull up and studied it. Incredibly close to human, a little different, but close as it could've been. I droped the skull and it fell into a dozen pieces. I continued back in to the room that I had woken up in. Ashes. I looked for the doctor. What was his name? Kyle? Kilgard? Then I saw his papers, some burnt, some not, and below the scatters of sheets, I saw a large black spider. A spider? I walked over to it and kicked it, the smell that followed induced vomiting. I looked back at it when I had stopped and saw it connected to an arm and then to the remnants of a body. I covered my nose and flipped it over. Doctor Jacob Ryan Kilford. That's what the name badge said. the tag on his jacket was singed off. I looked up to catch my breath and saw a notice of termination. He was too old to work for the MWR anymore. He was born on January 15th, 2060. He was one hundred years old. I reached into my pocket and pulled out the old watch he gave me and pushed it into his hand. It looked so out of place. So well kept, well oiled, and well shinned. On this world of darkness and ash and death. Like a flower in the desert.

I walked back out side and picked up a call on my Data-pad. It was coming from the MWR Discovery.

"This is Admiral Isaac Free."

"Good to hear it, brother, what are your coordinates?"

"I am at 45 degrees North, and 67 degrees West. Copy?"

"Copy. Fleet Admiral Ford would like to have a word with you."

"Put him on."

"Hello, Isaac." His voice was scratchy. like he'd been yelling at someone.

"Hello sir."

"Can you tell me what happened to your ship?"

"Sir, I'd rather tell you in person."

"I understand. Can you tell me how you aren't dead?"

"No, I can't"

I walked into the control room of the Discovery and was instantly greeted by Bret. He picked me up and shook me around until I hit him in the gut. It hurt me more than him. Fleet Admiral Ford took my hand and shook it.

"It's good to see you again, Isaac."

"Likewise, sir."

"Now, lets get down to business." We walked into a room labelled Conference C. There were three cameras set up around the room, all pointed to the seat I was told to sit in. I sat and smiled.

"What is all this for, Sir?"

"Records, Isaac, you understand." I nodded my head and waved at one of the cameras, and then winked.

"This isn't about having fun, Isaac, this is about you giving me the most accurate account of what happened the other day."

"Yessir." So I told him. I told him about running into the Destroyers (I wouldn't dare say Incolma on the camera), about promoting Phillips right then to make sure he got everyone off, a little motivational tool- plus I think he deserved it. I told him about allowing them to board the ship, that I was planning on killing them all and escaping in one piece. I told him that the entire army on the alien ship made their way on the the brig without me noticing, that I was captured and that they took the ship. Then I surprised him when I told him I was able to use The Wise One as a body shield whilst trying to escape. I told him about Hav'rte and his brother, Utanrehe. About how he gave me access to his ship. Then I stopped to let him soak it all in.

"This is big. This is real big, Isaac. It's a freakin' miracle you made it off of there in one piece." There was a pause. "Is there anything else that we can use? Any valuable information?"

"Well sir, I have good news and I have bad news."

"Good news first."

"I have the code they use to unlock anything they use in their military. Ships, weapons, everything."

"We can finally get into the ship on Earth! What's the bad news?"

"They have the Light Drive from the Free." Ford sat back in his chair, mouth wide, and in amazement.

"If that's true, then we may have just lost this war."

"No sir, it is true and we will not lose this war."

"How?"

"Their ship. It has an armory in it, if we can get it up and flying soon enough, we can fight fire with fire. Our weapons might not tear through their energy shield, but their weapons do. I've seen it myself." Ford stood up and took me out of he room. We walked back to the brig and stood next to Bret who was flying the ship.

"Waard, jump to Earth." Ford placed his hand on Bret's shoulder.

"But, what if they find the Jump Tear?"

"They already have the equipment to get there before we do, we might as well get there first."

"Yessir." Bret hit the coordinates and looked back at me, hesitant to hit the button.

So I did it for him.