Chapter 16: Revelations Of The False Man

0306 hours March 2nd, 2160

Outside of the Dawn-Jackson Armory and Base, Nevada, Earth, Sol System

I just got shot in the arm by a laser that packs three times the punch as a .50 caliber sniper round. I didn't feel it. I looked down at the ground and saw my arm. It was clear cut off at about two inches above the elbow. Clean cut, except for the wires and metal tubing that started to slide around inside of it when it was trying to move. What The fuck? Is this real? Did this just happen? Maybe I'm in shock, maybe that's why I couldn't feel it. But, there are wires moving. I don't believe it. This can't be happening... Can it? No. This isn't true. I remember looking up, and seeing the other aliens running towards me, shooting at me as they came. Ping! my helmet flew off, Bowng! I was getting hit again and again. I finally fell to the ground.

Blackness. Darkness. Utter nothingness. It was strange. I think time was still, either that, or my mind was processing things at a much faster rate than ever before... Or was this the first time? The time I killed The Wise One, that was another time this had happened, for sure. I can't remember another time before that. My vision then filled with nothing but green. Everything was green, like I was wearing a big green lens over my eyes. Then things started to pop up: Vitals, system notes, tons of information. Then an outline of a person came up in the upper left hand corner. A majority of it was yellow, except for the left leg, which was flashing red, and the right arm, which was outlined in red, but was filled in black. Gone, my right arm is gone. I blinked and it all went away. No more green, like I had imagined it all.

I tried to stand, but I just fell over at first. I tried to think harder, to concentrate on standing. I did, and I felt like I was fine for a moment. Then I looked back at my arm, or at least the nub that was left as a reminder of what once was. I looked out and saw the Incolma walking away, only a few left now, no more than nine. I yelled, and it was metallic. I tried to say something, and all that came out was a metallic, static-y buzz-hum. I yelled again, the same sound. I will not be ignored by these things. I hit the back of my neck as hard as I could, and felt something rattle, then snap.

"HEY!" I yelled, at last. The incolma still wouldn't turn. "HEY!" That time I lifted one of their laser rifles from one of the ones I'd killed earlier. I fired a shot, it hit one of them in the back of the head. It was the one in the front of the pack, the rest turned around and screamed that awful scream. one or two of them started to run towards me, as the others scattered. I took down the first one fine, but I couldn't reload fast enough with only one arm. It tackled me and tried to smack me with it's giant hand. "You, Humana, will pay for killing one of our Holy Lords."

"Get the fuck off of my planet." I spat in it's eye, and it swung at me, hitting my right shoulder. Still no pain, just big red letters that came up in my line of sight telling me that I was taking substantial damage. I laughed at the warning. The Incolma looked down after it got the spit out of it's eye, to look at it's kill. Only to see sparks and metal. "What are you?" It began to tremble.

"Me? I am Humanities secret weapon. I am Vice Admiral Isaac Free." I threw my fist up as hard as I could, punching straight threw it's skull.

I got back up after rolling the dead alien off my body. I looked around for the other Destroyers. Gone, cowards. I looked around at my base. Ransacked and torn apart. I could see the bodies of all of the ones who tried to save it, most of them were unarmed because of the strict no weapons any where other than the ranges policy. They would all try to protest. "What if this or that comes down here and tears us to shit?" We always answered with "It will never happen." What are we to say now?

I spotted a ship, not a Micro, but a Select, a size larger, and ten times as strong. I started to walk over to it, then thought of Bret. I need to call him to get me. What if he freaks out? Why haven't I freaked out? I guess we'll have to play this one by ear. I looked down at my left arm and hit the call touch button with my tongue. "Call Bret Waard IV" it took a few seconds, then I heard [call connected] from my wrist. Or was it my head?