Developing Worry, Anxiety, and Hatred.

The King sits upon a throne waiting patiently for days upon days. Worry is clear upon his face yet he will stay seated. Those around him must come to terms with what has come and wait for the prince's return.

But when days turn to weeks and those weeks grow into months, his worry turns to anxiety and hatred.

A chapter from the eyes of Dorephan; much time after Sidon had run away.

***

Chapter Text

My people wait so patiently for the return of their prince, my son. It has been a few days and of course I worry. The way he had left was quite strange from how he first grieved his sister, how he still grieved. He was more collected with how he mourned her for all these years, visiting her statue and nowadays visiting our divine beast to bring her spirit the news of the good and the bad that transpires in our domain. He always smiled, albeit a sad smile, when he spoke about her as we all did.

But the smile he held once the news of the champion Link had reached us... it held no emotion that I could understand. I expected tears, cries of pain, but not this. I know how much Sidon had loved his friend, how much he still loves him. I did not expect my cheerful son to run away. Perhaps he could be visiting those that were close to young Link, or building some memorial for the man. A terrible thought had crossed my mind, one about a dragon with the name Dinraal... but my son knows the dangers and would surely not be so reckless...

King Dorephan lingered on the thought before Muzu entered and bowed before his majesty.

"My king..." Dorephan was snapped out his thoughts and looked down on the councilman.

"Yes Muzu?"

The smaller zora fidgeted for a moment, clutching a long silver bow to his chest, one Dorephan realized to be his son's. "Sido- Prince. Sidon. He has left his weapons behind... Dento holds his sword..," the king waits for him to continue, clearly the smaller was struggling "M.. my king he is without weapons... what if danger comes to him?! Please we must look for him, send guards or that- that..." He stops himself. Even the king knew that Muzu was about to curse a certain hylain.

"Muzu, my dear friend, I will send guards to look for Sidon. I myself worry for him, but this is how he will grieve it seems. Give him time. I am sure he will be cautious if he did not take his weapons. I am sure he will return in another day." He tries to reassure the nervous zora, noticing how he clutches at the bow in a protective manner.

Dorephan leans forward, startling Muzu. He sits his head on his arms and yawns. "Muzu, rest here my friend. We shall wait some hours before sending a search party. And I need my best to be rested as I am sure you will tire yourself with this worry if you do not gain some peace. Come." He watches Muzu patiently as the mantaray moved hesitantly into the pool the king's throne was set in. He leans against Dorephans arms.

"Only for a few hours and nothing more." Still he clutches the bow but at least he is willing to rest. Dorephan lets his eyes close and tries to relax and eventually rest with the councilman.

I am sure Sidon will be safe wherever he may be. He could not have left the domain. He is a smart one, cautious too. He will return soon and perhaps speak about his friend. No matter what he wishes to do, I will accept his decisions. Though I still have this worry about what he doing with this time away from home.

***

The king had sent many to search for his son, even the folk who were not of the guard but common dwellers offered to search. Mei stayed with all of the children and watched after them. Days continued, turning into weeks and this worried Dorephan. It was also taking its toll on Muzu. The poor man was neglecting sleep and meals as another day comes and goes. He was scolded each of these days but seemed to forget shortly after. Mei struggled with the children and helping those who remained in the domain as more time had passed. She looked so tired but she always had a sweet smile when asked if she needed a break. And she always said no. She was immediately taken to the healers, the ones who stayed instead of going with the guards, after she was found out cold due to the lack of rest. The children she watched over helped to take care of her while she was making her recovery.

The king fretted over his people as they became agitated and concerned for the safety of their prince. He himself feared for his child. In the beginning he did worry but felt sure that Sidon would return soon, after a few days. But those days turned to weeks, and now almost a month. The beginning of the month was horrific when the zora began to show intense anger and would throw themselves out into the world to search themselves with no armor, weapons, and no way to know where to look. They returned battered and nearing death from octoroks and stray lizalfos. As soon as they were well, they joined with the guard to go out again. He loved and hated how ready they were to throw away their lives for the protection of another of their people.

The second half of the month was upon them and he felt a hatred bubbling within him as he sat uselessly upon the throne reading messages that were brought to him, informing him of the progress of the searches.

'The prince was not found atop Shatterback Point. The lynel still has not returned with a blood moon thankfully', 'Sidon has made no appearance near Lake Hylia, my King', 'Our prince has not been found in the Faron forests, your highness'. Letter after letter, he felt more pain and anger until he threw them all away from him. He was angry for not going after Sidon immediately, angry for not knowing where he could have gone, so very angry for not seeing just how much pain his son was in. He hated how weak he felt and how many had suffered because of a death. Another death that had affected his people so much.

He felt a hatred for the last champion. That hatred worried the king, but whenever he thought of Link he felt hatred and anger. He felt so much anger for the young man. He wished he had not died so foolishly, he wished that the princess had put him into that shrine he had arisen from after a hundred years, he wished so much that Link was blessed with the grace of Mipha in the time he truly needed it. He clutches his fists and growls, scaring the councilman he had not noticed entering. Immediately Dorephan apologizes to the sickly looking manta. Muzu gently rubs the king's knuckle to try to comfort the king as well as himself. He still held onto that bow. Dorephan was sure Dento still had Sidon's sword.

***

Dorephan bellowed and cried. He expressed his hatred and worry while Mei, Muzu, and any other who were brave enough to come close, tried to comfort him. Another month had gone by without the return of his son. Many of the soldiers, the guards, and common citizens returned without so much of a sighting. Two came back with a rumor of a bright red zora with burns bathing in the desert, but none of them could go investigate. They did not believe that rumor anyways because any zora fool enough to go was suicidal. Dorephan almost believed it.

The night of the final day in the month came and Dorephan left his throne as Muzu and Mei slept nearby. He made his way to Vah Ruta and sat near the beast who stood ever so proudly.

"Oh my dear daughter... what am I to do," he could feel a presence not too far from him "your brother has left us without a word to grieve your, our hero. And we know not where he is..." He rubbed at his forehead awaiting a response he knew he would not get. He sighs and looks up at the beast. "Both of you, my beautiful children, had fallen for Link. I admit he had held a charming personality and a comforting presence in all of our hearts, but now... I feel only anger when I think of him. I know it is not true but I feel he has taken my only family from me. And I... I can not bear to lose another love... you both were all I had after your mother..." He inhales shakily and closes his eyes. "Please my dear child... If you can hear my words, pray for your brother with me. Pray for his safety and his return." He stays with the beast and his daughter's spirit for a while longer, praying to the goddess in hopes it could save his son. He feels a comforting warmth and believes Mipha was sitting with him quietly.

He goes back to the throne room and sits silently. He watches those who have taken their place within the room and notices some things he hadn't before. Bazz had brought small figurines of what looked to be Sidon, when he was a tiny zora who had not hit his growth spurt, and placed them around the throne. Mei was cradling her child while other children huddled around them. And Muzu... poor poor Muzu was still clutching the bow but he had something else now, like he had moved when the king was absent. Upon further inspect, Dorephan recognized the item to be the silver adornment Sidon had always worn. He sniffled as he stared, focused on the silver that missed the blue feather. Terrible things swam through his head as he tried to comprehend why Sidon had not taken it when he ran away.

***

Notes:

I feel like this chapter is a bit short but what can ya do? I got all I wanted in this one and working on the next. Are you enjoying the story? Feel free to let me know your thoughts on the chapters!