Chapter 15

We made our report directly to the Royal family, handing over the cultist's diary as the first piece of evidence against the Duke. The King was still in shock about the betrayal of his trusted advisor. The Queen, of course, was already prepared for such news.

Queen Ginger made it clear that our help was still needed, "In light of this betrayal and the real probability of an ongoing conspiracy against the crown and against the people of Panos as a whole, we ask for your continued diligence. Whatever plan has been set in motion by Duke Harrington and the doomsday cultists of Koroth must be discovered. If it is still a credible threat, their plans must be foiled. Our material aid will continue to be made available to you. Should you require financial or martial resources, you need but ask."

Putting her money where her mouth had just been, the Queen issued Ames 50 gold coins to cover any research expenses. After taking our leave, we stopped at the front gate of the palace to get organized.

I said, "Someone gotta tell Hemitath. Rest gotta find out more stuff and things."

Rick nodded. "I'll get word back to the Headmaster, but Sorch... you need to rest and recover. It's dawn and you're drained."

I grunted. "No time. Kitty look after me. Will rest after next stop."

Ames squeezed my shoulder. "Where's that Sorch?"

I pointed south. "Where all shady people go."

As Rick headed back to the teleporter, we made our way to the docks. They were remarkably similar to the ones in Limt, just on a more massive scale. We started with the public shipping manifest, trying to see if there was somewhere in particular that the Duke might run. I paused when I saw a certain name.

"Blue Briar."

My companion peered at the manifests. "I don't see that ship on the manifest, what is it?"

I shook my head. "Not what. Who." I poked a finger at the line of the manifest that I was talking about:

'The Sea Devil - Captain Blue Briar - Destination: Limt - Dock: 43C'

I explained, "He guy who ship to Shaman for me. He friend of bartender I know. Gots eyes everywhere on coast."

Ames glanced at the map hanging next to the manifest. "Dock 43 is east of us. Let's go."

We made our way past over a hundred ships of every size and shape imaginable. I still appreciated the ocean and those who sailed her, however unlike the view from my apartment in Limt, the sheer volume of ships made the Royal Moffit port seem horribly cluttered. Details were more difficult to pick out. A lot of the charm was lost.

We reached Dock 43. The Sea Devil was easy to spot because, unlike most of the rest of the port, there were only a couple of ships in their berthings. As we approached, one of the human deckhands called down, "What ye fer then?"

I shrugged and looked to Ames. The feline called back, "We need Captain Blue Briar."

"So does every bitch in every port we visit, and they all leave satisfied but limping. This gonna be that kind of visit?"

Instead of answering verbally, the were-cat held up the small bag of gold that we had been granted by the Crown. The feline jingled the coins loudly.

The man peered down at us for a few long moments. Then he disappeared from the railing area.

I frowned. "If he come back with crossbow..."

Ames slapped my shoulder. "We can dive under the boat. You can swim, right?"

"I no tell about Silverfish?"

"Wasn't that more pulling on a rope than swimming?"

I grunted. "Sure. But yes, can swim."