Ch 4

I sat there all dolled up not saying a word. I scanned around the room every now and then. It appeared to be something fresh off a movie scene. The life of the rich and famous if you asked me. I listened as the man played the piano. Never have I been somewhere as elegant as this. But I already knew that wherever there was beauty, there was pain. The man cleared his throat and I looked at him, giving him my undivided attention. The last thing I wanted was to be sent back to Kyle and his father for acting up. I was gunna do everything in my power to make sure that the man had a wonderful time. I can cry about the pain later, after everything was already said and done.

"Are you okay?" he asked sounding genuine.

"Yes." I said meekly, easing a smile onto my face.

"You look uncomfortable. If you don't want to be here just say so."

"No sir. There is no where else that I'd rather be." I stated quickly. He chuckled and shook his head.

"There's no need to lie. It's not like I'm taking you back to Lance and Kyle. Those days are over. Feel free to say whatever is on your mind."

I just sat there and looked at him trying to make sense of his words. What did he mean that I wasn't going back? Had they permanently sold me? What would this man do to me? My mind raced and I felt my eyes dying to well up. I looked up to the ceiling blinking my eyes a few times to hold the tears. I was not about to make a scene to find out just how ugly things could get. He gently touched my hand bringing me back to reality and I flinched. I took my hand off the table and placed it on my lap.

"What have they done to you?" he asked looking into my eyes.

"They saved me." I lied. Before he could say anything else a man and woman approached the table.

"Mr. Carter!"

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Nerverson," the man said as he stood and shook their hands. "I would like to introduce you to my date." The couple looked in my direction as I stood to acknowledge them.

"She is stunning!" Mrs. Nerverson exclaimed, taking over for Mr. Carter. "Hello, my name is Amerie Neverson and this is my husband Tremaine Neverson," she introduced as I shook their hands.

"Nice to meet you," I said with a smile. "I'm Legacee. Legacee Williams."

We ate and laughed and got acquainted with each other. Mr. Neverson and Mr. Carter spoke business while Mrs. Neverson and I listened on, ocassionally making a comment at each other. I glanced up at Mr. Carter as desert was being served. He smiled, giving me his million dollar smile. I blushed a little as I cut into my warm brownie.

"Ms. Williams," I looked over at Mr. Neverson.

"Yes sir." I said giving him my undivided attention. He chuckled a little.

"Sir? I'm not that old yet."

"I apologize if I offended you. Just something my mother taught me." I said halfway lying. My mother had taught me to be respectful to my elders, but Kyle and his father made sir a permenant part of my greeting.

"Nice to know that parents do raise their children right. I hope that my kids still have as much respect as you do when they're grown." I smiled at his compliment. "What is your current employment?"

"I am unemployed at the moment," I stated shyly.

"Oh goodie." said Mrs. Neverson. "I guess all of that is about to change." I looked at her puzzled. "I own a boutique," she continued, " and I believe that you will fit in perfectly there. What do you think?" I looked over at Mr. Carter.

"I think you should go for it. I know you just met them but I have known them my entire life. I don't believe there would be anywhere else better to work."

"I guess its settled then," I said chuckling.

Mr. Carter lifted his glass. "To new beginnings and opportunities."

"And to fulfilling dreams," Mrs. Neverson chimed in.

Maybe a change was about to come for the better.

The ride was quiet, not akward, just quiet. I had a lot to take in and adjust too. The fact that I wasn't going back to Kyle and his father both excited and frightened me. I was glad to be away from the abuse, if even for a couple of hours or a few days. But then again, I still had no idea who this man was or what he had planned for me. I mean, it couldn't be all good because he was friends and did business with Kyle and his father.... Right?

The car stopped and I looked up to see a tall building. I could see straight into the lobby area through the huge windows && glass doors that adorned the front. There were people smiling, a doorman and security. It seemed like one of those upscale buildings. Mr. Carter opened up the door and led me inside. He threw his keys to a man and said "Take care of my baby."

"I will Mr. Carter," he replied as he climbed into the drivers seat.

"Hello Mr. Carter. Hope you had a lovely night," another man said as he opened the door. He eyed me real quick and then returned his attention back to Mr. Carter.

"A very lovely one," Mr. Carter said glancing at me. "Neil this is Ms. Williams, Ms. Williams this is Neil."

"Pleasure to meet you," he said holding onto my hand a little too long for my liking.

"Nice to meet you," I replied as I gently pulled my hand away from him and rested it on Mr. Carter.

I don't know what it is but Neil gave me a funny feeling and I didn't like him. Witnessing my change in character Mr. Carter ended the conversation. He led me inside the building and onto an elevator. We rode all the way to the top floor. When the doors opened, it felt like a whole new world. There was lavish paintings that adorned the hallway, some statues were strategically placed, and the marble floor was spotless allowing me to see my reflection.

He opened the door and the inside of the apartment was just as beautiful as the outside. A part of me was feening to see the entire place. It really was perfect.

"Welcome home," Mr. Carter said, breaking me from my trance. All I could think about was 'I wouldn't mind living here forever.'