Ch 5

I laid in the bed afraid to fall asleep. You know that feeling when things are too good to be true? Yeah? Well that's how I felt. Given my history I knew that nothing good lasted forever. I had been here for a week already and although the bruises had started to fade, I made sure to stay covered up and keep my face caked up. I even slept in makeup. I didn't want to be returned for being damaged goods.

"Dear GOD, Can you please Bless me? Watch over me? I mean, I know I'm not your favorite and there's probably someone that needs YOUR help a lot more than I do but I'm still asking. And can YOU please look after my mommas? Let them know that I'm pushing through, day by day. As long as they're with me, I can survive anything. Dear GOD, just please protect me."

I wiped the tears off of my face as I got up to tiptoe to the bathroom. I turned on the light as I looked in the mirror to see the damage the tears had done to my makeup. I can't wait til these bruises finally go away, I thought as I fixed the ruined concealer.

"I'm so glad my face ain't breaking out yet," I whispered as I sprayed on the setting spray.

I went to the bathroom and then slowly eased myself back into bed. Glancing over at the clock as I got comfortable I noticed that it was already 2:34 in the morning. I needed to get some sleep before I had to get up and meet with Mrs. Neverson.

"Are you ready to meet her?" I looked up at Ms. Cathy as I played with my fingers. "She's excited to meet you."

I shrugged my shoulders as I started to chew the inside of my lip.

"Okay," she whispered as she grabbed my hand and walked me up to the house.

The house was really pretty. The numbers 1187 was written in a pretty gold by the front door. There was a van in the driveway and a big garden in the front. I held onto Ms. Cathy's leg and hid my face as the door opened.

"Hi Ms. Cathy. How are you doing today?" The lady was soft spoken and had a slight accent.

"I'm doing pretty well Samantha. I think I have someone for you to meet buuuut...." She stopped and looked around, squinting to see better. "I'm not quite too sure where she went."

"Oh okay. I guess we can go inside and have some hot chocolate and cookies. I'll leave the door open for her for whenever she's ready."

I peeked from behind her leg and looked at the lady.

"Oh look Cathy!" she exclaimed. "There's a pretty little girl behind you!"

Ms. Cathy looked down at me and smiled, "Well look who decided to show up."

She grabbed my hand and pulled me in front of her, placing both of her arms around my shoulders. The lady was looking at me funny but she was smiling really hard.

"Hi cutie," she said bending down to my height. "I'm Samantha Brown. What's your name?"

I rocked in Ms. Cathy's arms as I answered, "My mommy calls me CeeCee."

"Well hi CeeCee. Nice to meet you." She extended her hand to me. I looked up at Ms. Cathy; she smiled and nodded her head. I slowly unwrapped her arms from around me and walked towards Ms. Brown.

"Nice to meet you too," I whispered as I placed my hand in hers.

The smell of fresh cookies peeked my interest as I stuck my head out of the room.

"You can stay in there if you choose or you can come enjoy some snacks with me," a voice called out.

I giggled as I pulled my hair back. I tip toed to the kitchen and observed my surroundings. The cookies smelled so good and comforting. I didn't really want to be bothered but I did want a few.

"They're fresh out the oven and on the table. I also have milk and ice cream if you like."

I smiled as I climbed up on the chair.

"Just cookies. No milk please."

"Well you'll need something to wash them down."

"Water please," I asked as I finished the first cookie. It was so soft and gooey. Reminded me of the way Mommy used to make it for me and her and Santa.

"Okay," she stated.

Ms. Brown came and sat across from me. Together we enjoyed some cookies and talked about the different things I liked. She seemed really nice but I really wondered when Mommy was going to wake up. I missed her but they wouldn't let me see her after all the yelling stopped.

"Do you know where my Mommy is?"

Ms. Brown stopped chewing and stared at me. The happiness in her face vanished.

"Ummm," Mrs. Brown started as she placed her hands in her lap, smoothing out the bottom of her dress. "No one spoke to you?"

I shook my head as I bit into another cookie.

"They just say she went away to be with Angel. But Mommy never leaves me, not for this long. She's going to worry but no one will say where she is."

"CeeCee," Ms. Brown sighed as she stood up and moved closer to me. "Mommy is in the clouds with all the angels. You can't see her but she's here." She pointed to my heart and I looked down at her finger.

"So no more Mommy?" I asked as my eyes began to well with tears. "I'm alone now?"

"Oh no baby. You see Mommy did something really special. She asked GOD to send you to me so that I could love and take care of you for however long you like. Is that okay?"

I looked at her crazy. Mommy's don't leave their babies. Mommy always said that. Forever and Ever. Amen!

"But I want my mommy," I whispered as I began to cry.

"Hey, you okay?"

I jumped from my sleep as I felt the weight of the bed shift and the hand on my lower back. I looked over at Mr. Carter as he looked back at me concerned.

"Are you okay?" he asked again, reaching for my face.

I moved out of reach and shook my head.

"Yes," I stated as I got up and headed towards the bathroom. "I'm okay. Guess it was just a bad dream."