Warned

A few days later, a sailboat came into the wide cove where the river broadened into a sandy beach, down the winding path through the forest from Summer's farm. They couldn't see it-the sailboat-because the trees were so tall, but they could hear the canvas sails flap as the boat pointed upwind and came to a stop, and then they could hear the chain rattling out as the anchor was dropped.

Soon, gruff voices could be heard down on the beach. They grew more gruff as the men realized that they could not find the path up to Summer's cottage. They had gotten only as far as the wagon road that followed the river. From there, the woods were thick and tangled and it was almost impossible to press through them unless you knew how.

"They must be coming to request our assistance," Summer said. "Why don't you go down and show them the way."

Drift shrugged and set her hoe aside. The path, like everything else on Summer's farm, was warded, and new visitors needed to be shown how to find it.

The young men from the crew smiled when Drift came out of the woods, happy no doubt to meet someone their age, but the captain frowned and told them to watch the boat. He had nothing to say to Drift as she lead him through the trees, and at his request, she waited on the porch while he went inside to speak with Summer.

They emerged shortly, and Summer told him she'd join him as soon as she packed for the trip.

Once he had gone back down to the beach, Summer explained to Drift that the matriarch of his family was ill and expected to pass soon, and was requesting a traditional Fena ceremony-which begins the day before death and guides the body and soul through their journeys.

"Should I pack an overnight bag too?" Drift asked.

"I'm sorry, my dear, but you'll have to stay home," Summer said.

"Why? To feed the animals?"

"That, yes, and..."

"And?" Drift prompted. "Will you be doing some spell you don't want me to know about?" she added, a slight edge to her voice.

Summer ignored the comment. "I'm still worried about that vulture, and..." She gave Drift a thoughtful look.

"And what?"

"The last farm we visited," Summer said. "With the sickly lambs. Do you recall?"

Drift frowned. She did recall, but was not eager to discuss it.

"The girl there, is her name Lily?" Summer persisted.

Drift nodded reluctantly.

"You were gone with her for some time, and when you came back, you looked flustered."

Drift's frown deepened.

"I'm guessing she thought you were an eligible young man?"

"Look, I have to show enough interest in girls to convince them I'm a boy, don't I?"

"What exactly do you mean by 'interest'? Did you kiss?"

"No!"

"I don't mean to pry, but I need to know what happened."

"She still thinks I'm a boy, if that's what you're worried about. An unfriendly boy."

"Well, that's good, but obviously it's-"

"Good? How would you like it if everyone thought you were unfriendly? I've never had a friend, Grandma."

"I'm sorry, my dear." Summer studied her. "However, the fact is, it's getting harder for you to avoid attention. I don't think I'll take you out on calls anymore."