Chapter 12: Change

"It's not often real that you encounter the real person behind a good-natured mask, the darkest part of someone. It's not comfortable what you do."

-Veronica Roth

Previously...

The next day, Elizabeth decided to clear her head once more and decided to go to the nearby lake. As she sat there, wearing a black dress with black leggings, and a grey woman's overcoat for the brisk air, she couldn't help think back to the emotions that had filled Elijah's eyes last night in front of her house.

But before she could contemplate more about it, someone sat next to her and Elizabeth cursed for her own ignorance when she froze in surprise at who sat next to her.

It was Finn Mikaelson.

~~.....~~

Elizabeth looked at the man, eyes wide, as she wasn't able to discern why the Original would find her other than for harmful reasons. She immediately tensed and looked at the man warily, when he sighed, and said,

"I am Finn Mikaelson. I apologize if I had startled you."

Elizabeth gave him a small smile as she reached her hand out and introduced herself.

"Elizabeth."

She continued to eye the man in front of her warily, not sure what to really think about what was going on. Finn sighed as he looked towards lake, as he stated,

"I heard a lot about you from the family. Mostly Rebekah."

Elizabeth's eyes grew wide, not sure where he was going with this. As she listened to him talk more and more, it was about how Elijah seems upset about her departure from their last encounter. With a curious glint, Finn Mikaelson looked down at the woman next to him, asking,

"A normal person would not be able to handle Elijah Mikaelson alone, and yet, you managed to tame both Klaus and Rebekah Mikaelson to your side. How did you manage to draw in the classic trio of my family?"

Elizabeth stiffened a little, before chuckling to herself, sighing at the end from the sudden sadness she felt. She smiled sadly, as she answered with,

"I didn't really do anything. I just let them do what they wanted, just without causing as much mayhem, nor did I ignore the needs of anyone. The only person I could not handle and probably will never be able to figure out is your younger brother Elijah."

Finn noticed the slightly exhausted look in Elizabeth's eyes as he said,

"You feel something for him. And yet... you don't look that happy."

Elizabeth gave him a sideways glance as she said,

"I'm not sure what you are here for Mr. Mikaelson, but I know the outcome of being around your family. It will ultimately lead to my death someday. Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow, maybe in 20 or 50 years. But it will happen. I guess, that is the one thing I dread because of my feelings for your brother... or perhaps relying on."

Finn tensed at that as he looked at the woman more cautiously, finding something he wasn't expecting from his task to learn more about Atalanta as his mother asked.

"Why are you telling me this?"

Elizabeth sniffed a little from the brisk air, as she looked at Finn, responding with,

"I'm getting a sense that you are here to learn more about me for a different reason than to befriend me, Mr. Mikaelson. But you should know something.... I'm not a nice person, nor deserving of a good life."