Rêver

"Have you ever had a dream so heartbreakingly

beautiful that it felt like pure agony to stay awake?"

-unknown

Everything around her was dark, when, in an instant, light flooded her eyes and she had to blink, the pure array of colors blinding her for a moment. When her eyes finally adjusted, she found herself in the air, flying above a lot of green, and she realized that somehow, she was flying above a mountain, as clouds were settled lower to the forest.

She felt her wings lead her somewhere, and that was when she came across a civilization of humans. They were wearing fur clothing, hair wild, as if they had rarely been brushed. But that didn't matter as another being came into her vision. A large, blue-ish dragon floated through the air gracefully, and she felt her heart beat faster.

The dragon floated up to her, and both the dragon and she danced around in the air, almost doing a performance in front of the humans. As they swerved and slid through the air, gliding through and getting to know each other, the exhilaration was uncontrollable.

However, to her disappointment, the performance ended, and the two beings hovered in the air, not moving. They stared at each other, not sure how to proceed when a booming voice echoed through her entire being, and she felt a jolt as she slowly floated down to the ground, feeling her body shift.

No longer did she have wings and colorful feathers that radiated light, indicating her divinity. Rather, she found herself with pale limbs. She felt her feet land gently on the ground, her legs wobbling from the foreign sensation. Without much strength in her new limbs, she fell down, and she caught herself with two other limbs, which she recognized that humans called arms.

She was luckily clothed in very comfortable clothing, that stood out from the others' when she spotted a man in front of her. He was the most handsome being she had seen, and her heart once again fluttered in recognition. He was the dragon. He was her mate.

At that recognition, her heart soared, and she smiled, feeling a new sensation as the man walked over to her and helped her up.

Their brown eyes both peered into each other when they turned at the cheering of the humans. The humans bowed down, and almost acted in reverence as they both walked down towards them.

But that moment did not seem to last long, as everything once again went dark, and light once more crept up on her. When she had opened her eyes, she found that she was in a tent-like structure, covered in fur blankets. Pain erupted everywhere as she heard a female voice encourage her with panic in her voice.

She grit her teeth as she tried her best to follow the instructions. Her abdomen felt like it was being ripped to shreds, but she continued to push. Sweat dripped from her forehead, and covered her entire body, as men continued to yell outside. She heard the swords clashing, the yells and screams outside. But the urgency of the situation made her resent the rogue humans much more. Her husband's smile came into her mind and she once more pushed, when her baby finally was born.

Due to her urgency, she called out to the midwife to hand her, her child. When she finally had her son in her arms, she smiled and sat up with the help of others. She looked down at her son, who whimpered. He was red, and had his eyes closed, like any other newborn, but to her, he was special. Her firstborn, and a symbol of her love with her husband. But the joy did not last long as her husband bolted into the tent with foreboding in his eyes.

They had been left on earth to be the humans' protectors, and yet, they both knew, that in this life, they were to lose each other in order to fulfill their duties. A tear escaped her eye as she weakly stood up with help. Her husband's hair flowed with the wind, as he led her and their child away from the civilization.