7

After that day, Fowler assigned a Private to me and she stood in as my mother, to visit and tour the school. We went early in the morning and walked around while the others were in class, the principal spoke gently and excitedly with us, talking up the school like he'd rehearsed this many times. Rehearsed a piece written when the school was built, anyway, which was extremely outdated.

There's really so many questions I could ask here to ruin him. What are the suicide rates? How many students graduate with honors? Do the school's art programs lack budgeting, or does the board care about students' creative outlets? Assuming the sports team is the best funded, do they bring home medals, or is it more of a 'fun' team sport to play after school?

Wouldn't matter if I did ask, though, I already knew the answers to most of those.

"So, what do you think, Miss Elaine? You'll be the one attending in due time."

"It's nice." I replied simply, "The small build of the school should make it easier for me to make friends."

His eyes lit up and I refrained from sighing, "Of course! What a lovely observation. I can tell you're a very smart girl, and Jasper's public high school looks forward to having you!"

Great. I thought.

Even though I hate this idea, maybe once I'm enrolled Jack will finally lay off a bit. I can't believe he thinks I'm a spy that's fooled everyone but him. Then again, I can't blame him for holding a grudge.

-

You left us here to die.

I didn't mean to.

My mouth moved but no sound followed, and it felt hard to breathe. I tried running, but my body wouldn't move as fast as I wanted it to, and it was like I was pulling against tar, stuck to my arms and feet.

You let my mother die!

No, I never wanted this!

I'll never trust you! I'll make you pay for what you did!

Just listen to me!

My motorcycle's engine burst and I was thrown to the concrete. My shoulder smacked off the ground and my left arm burned, my knees were scraped and I struggled to push myself back up. As I pressed up on my hands and knees, I looked up through the dark to my father, who stood above me with a disgusted look. All of his other men in masks stood behind him, slowly moving to surround me, guns held tight to their chests and pointed right to my head.

After all I've given you... you betray me. You betray MECH.

You never cared about me, so don't start pretending like you do now!

You are ungrateful. You are weak, and I never should have let you join me.

There was nothing to reply with. I sat there and just watched, listening as my father chuckled down at me, calling me pathetic, and the screams and curses of Breakdown over the whir of the drills started building up more and more in the back of my mind. Louder, louder, like it was coming for me next.

Slowly, I turned around. Jack was yelling at me, calling me a monster, but I couldn't see him. Where was Fowler?

I'm sorry. I whispered, but I couldn't hear my own voice.

Breakdown was coming right for me, limping, his eye socket empty and his chest hanging open and his arm falling off, and he looked alot worse than I remember him looking. His canon was loaded, shooting rapidly around me and missing me even though I wasn't moving.

I said I was sorry!

The firing continued, explosions echoed and my ears started to ring. The sounds of the drills blared and Breakdown was still yelling. I raised my hands to cover my ears, trying to talk to myself, trying to hear myself think. Everything was spinning. The same anxiety I felt those nights leading up to the moment I burned down my own house was rushing through me.