One.

Whitney

Raising a child alone while dealing the loss of your best friend was something I could never imagine. For the past three months, I've cried myself to sleep to think my husband would be coming back.

Our son was our greatest joy, and I knew that Eric loved him dearly. Morgan has had troubles with the fact that his father is no longer here, but I'd always reassure him that he would never leave him.

Waking up to a cold, empty side of the bed hurts on a daily. Every morning, I drag myself out the bed. Morgan was my muse, the only one at that. I don't think I could ever replace his father, or my first love. One person who kept me sane was my beloved mother, Sheila, who stayed with me for the past three months.

I was grateful for my mother, son, and sisters as they stuck with me. Eric's passing was truly unexpected, which caused me to slip into a deep depression. I didn't eat, sleep, or bathe. I sat in the dark, constantly crying my eyes out. My serve depression caused Morgan and I's relationship to plummet. Mommy reassured him that I would always love and care for him.

My marriage reminded me so much of my parents' own, which was the number one reason why I became a wife. I was heavily influenced by my mother who I looked up to. She was a hardworking woman, who raised three girls while being in an abusive relationship. I don't remember much of my father, but I've heard stories of him being beaten to death in an alley.

My parents love Morgan because he's the son they've never had. My stepfather, Joseph, is a father to me. He came into my life when I was about seven, leading me to call him 'Dad'. At first, I was afraid. Calling him my father, knowing it'd irritated the hell out of my older sisters. Eventually, they knew that I didn't know remember our real father.

 Eventually, they knew that I didn't know remember our real father

"Mom and Dad, you guys look great." I said, admiring my parents. They were invited to some extravagant wedding for their friend. My mother is pushing sixty, and she looks like she's in her early thirties.

"Thank you sweetie, are you sure you're okay by yourself with Morgan?" Dad asked. I knew he was trying his best to look out for me. They've been so supportive of me, so this is their first time going out. The guilt ate me up inside; I've been holding them back as they've been caring for my son and I.

"I'm sure you guys. Go out and have fun! I love you guys." Both smiled, leaving me alone in the living room. Morgan was staying over at a friend's house, so I was home all alone. Feeling my phone vibrate, it was a message from my sister.

 Feeling my phone vibrate, it was a message from my sister

I've been very fortunate to have Toni as my sister. Janet as well. Although the three of us fought most of our childhood, I was extremely grateful for them.

Being alone in the house for the first time felt weird. I was so use to having people constantly check up on me, seeing if I was okay or not. It feel good though to have some alone time. I needed to rewind and relax my thoughts.