Six.

Toni

It's been a week since Mom has died, and today is the reading of the will. Honestly, I am not expecting much knowing both Whitney and Janet need it more than I do. No shade.

I've been an emotional wreck and I try to keep a calm and normal composure, knowing damn well I've cried myself to sleep for these past few days. Sitting in the dining room of my parents' home, it's a little sentimental for me as I use to love family dinners. Being young again is something I truly wish for. I miss being a little girl with no responsibilities and stress.

Being at work has deprived me of seeing both sisters and Dad. Seeing Whitney and Janet linked at the arms, I was extremely surprised. Growing up, they could not stand each other and now they're best friends. Maybe they're like this trying to block out the pain and hurt from Mom's sudden death.

"Hey Tone," Janet smiled. I shot back a fake toothless grin, making her frown a little bit. I didn't care, I just wanted to know since when Whitney and Janet became so close. Each sister sat next to me, as Dad sat across from us. Mom and Dad's attorney, Robert Donahue, was also present sitting at the head of the table.

"Okay, the sooner we start, the better." Robert stated. I became a little nervous when he pulled out the will from his leather briefcase.

"Mrs. Lynnette Ford-Washington, who was the testatrix, created the will about two years ago. Leaving her beloved husband, Joseph, to being the executor. Her prized possessions included her home, three cars, and monetary assets up to $1.5 million dollars."

I couldn't believe our mother had this will created so recently. As if she knew she were going so soon. Seeing the attorney hand my father the paper, he stood up. By each second, I was growing more and more frantic.

"I leave my best friend and husband, Mr. Joseph Graham Washington, my bank assets. To my darling daughters: Whitney, I leave behind my two cars; Janet, my Porsche truck and to Toni, my home." I couldn't believe my mother had left this home to me. My current residence is something I love, and I'd never want to sell it. Whitney seemed relaxed, but Janet looked puzzled.

"Is everything okay?" Whitney asked. Internally, I rolled my eyes trying to keep my attitude together. Janet had tears in her eyes, acting as if she ain't get anything from this. She should be grateful. Janet stood up pacing back and forth. Now, I was truly confused.

"This is what I talked about last night, to Whitney. I'd always get the short end of the stick. Toni gets the home, Dad. Whitney gets two cars, and I get a stupid ass Porsche." Janet said being all melodramatic.

"Girl, it ain't that deep. Now sit your ass back down." I spat. She was worse than my daughter with all this bickering. It is not my fault that Mom had given me the home; I didn't ask for it. Whitney sat in silence, meanwhile Robert was sitting there bored out of his mind.

"You know what? I'm tired of the disrespect. Especially from you, Toni. Don't think I didn't see your fake grin at me. Why are you out to get me?"

"Nobody out to get your paranoid, annoying ass. I didn't ask for the house, and I wasn't expecting much from this will reading anyway." Why am I explaining myself to my younger sister?

"Look at Mrs. Mitchell acting all humble. Your performance is award-winning." Janet rose her eyebrow, making me roll my eyes.

"Alright girls, that is enough. We're not about to do this in front of Robert. If you've got issues, talk it out, like adults. Stop acting like children, or everyone is getting kicked out of my house." Dad said.

"Actually, it's mi-" Couldn't finish the sentence without Dad giving me a look. I stayed silent. Maybe it was for the best.

"You're a spoiled brat. Now I know why Tye left your ass." I mumbled. Janet rolled her eyes, and the waterworks came once more. Tye was a charming young man, who loved Janet but she pushed him away. I actually liked the bigheaded boy.

"You wanna know why I left Tye?" Janet screamed.

"Yeah, and it better be a good ass reason too." I said.

"I was raped by him. I got RAPED, by him. He forced himself into me, causing him to impregnate me. It happened years ago, and I can't stop replaying that scenario in my mind. That is why I don't talk to anyone in this family, because you don't understand me. I miscarried that child, and lost my best friend. Now, I lost my mother. The biggest loss I endured is now this sisterhood, because I am done." Storming out, Janet went to the front door leaving.

And quite frankly, I don't think she is coming back.