Her birth. *

I young woman ran through the cold and rainy streets as the clock struck midnight, a one-year-old clutched to her chest. Looking back she brushed her curly brown hair from her eyes and gasped, her shadowy followers were in close pursuit and getting closer by the second, dodging a body binding hex she swerved down a back alley towards a house. She stopped at the door, the girl still held tightly to her chest and tried the knob, it was locked.

"Severus!" She yelled. No response.

"Severus! It's me, Alissa, please you have to help me!" There was still no response. Looking down the dark road from the doorstep Alissa saw human figures appearing all around the house, her fate was clear. Sinking down onto the doorstep she leaned her head against the door, "Please, I'm so sorry, but I have my daughter here, they're going to take her and win." Tears streamed down her face as she realized there was no one home, no one to save her from her inevitable death.

"Mommy?" She looked down at the toddler and her heart filled with happiness at the little face, her daughter had been born in captivity of the death eaters after they had captured her when she was pregnant, for an entire year she had never seen the outside world and Alissa wasn't going to let that happen again. Biting her lip she placed the young girl in the shadows on the doorstep. Seeing her mother's retreating form the girl began to cry softly.

"Don't cry baby, don't worry everything's going to be fine I promise, mommy will be right back, I love you." 

Wrapping a piece of cloth around her arms she walked slowly towards her previous captors in all black.

"Alissa Grindelwald! By order of the dark lord himself, you are to bring your child and yourself with us peacefully."

"Never!" She yelled, and her body began to morph her arms turned into wings and her head began to form that of a birds.

"She's shifting! Fire!" The death eater yelled.

A chorus of "Avada Kadavara!" split the night.

The girl watched from her hiding place as her mother started growing wings and turned to face her, I love you. She mouthed as she exploded into a burst of green fire.

Severus returned to his home an hour later to find the love of his life that he hadn't seen in a year dead on his doorstep, with a one-year-old girl sitting beside her crying and shaking her.

"Mommy won't wake up!" She wailed upon sighting the man. He dropped to the ground as tears fell from his eyes, clutching her dark hair in his hands, he noted the wings that were on her back, clearly, she had been struck in the middle of shifting.

The young woman in front of him was Alissa Grindelwald, the daughter of Gellert Grindelwald himself and a previous lover of Severus, she had gone missing almost a year ago just before the rise of the dark lord, he searched for her wand but found none, anger boiled in the pit of his stomach.

"Cowards!" He yelled at the night sky but the only response he got was the little girl shaking her mother again and calling her name.

Sympathy took over and he walked slowly to the girl,

"Why won't she wake up?" She asked, biting her bottom lip.

"Do you see the wings?"

"Yeah,"

"That means she's an angel, and she's returned to heaven."

"But why didn't she take me with her?"

"Because then I'd have no one to keep me company." He explained wiping away his tears.

"My name is Severus Snape, whats yours?"

She sniffled slightly clutching a slightly shredded stuffed rabbit closer to her chest. "Estrella."

"That's a very pretty name, do you have a father?"

"What's a father?"

He bit his lip slightly, from the amount of time Alissa had been held captive and the fact that some of the death eaters were sick sick men he could only guess who her father may be. Noting her dark hair and pale skin he decided that for now, he would say he was her father, it would save her the pain of the probable truth.

"Well your mother and I were in love Estrella, so I'm your father." He had never really been good with children.

"Okay!" The girl grinned.

A few months later Voldemort was defeated so Estrella and I could come out of hiding, the first thing I did was go to Dumbledore do ask if he could remove the dark mark that had been branded onto her left shoulder, he responded almost immediately and set up a time to meet. I picked her up and apparated to just outside Hogwarts, families were still recovering from the war so the school was relatively empty.

"licorice sticks" I calmly told the gargoyle. The door opened and I strode in to see Dumbledore sitting at his desk, he looked upon my arrival and smiled pleasantly at us both indicating me to take a seat, I stayed standing,

"Hello Severus, I'm very sorry for your loss." He smiled at Estrella, who stood behind me clutching onto my cape, she had learned to walk at a very young age.

"Thank you." I nodded stiffly, still wary that he might attack me since I had until recently been part of the death eaters.

"Well, let's see the mark then if that why you're here."

"Estrella," She pulled her shirt down with slight difficulty to reveal the small mark.

"Interesting," He muttered to himself, "And does she possess the same abilities as her mother?"

"There have been no signs but I can't know for sure just yet."

"Hmm."

"So can you make her mark go away?" I pressed, impatient for my answer.

"The dark lord, being a powerful wizard has made the mark impossible to remove, which is quite unfortunate as his reasons for branding her were to track if he were to rise to power again, to see for himself if she can shapeshift like her mother." 

I nodded solemnly, "Well thank you for seeing me."

"Hold on Severus, I know you applied for a teaching job here in Hogwarts and since you're here why not tell you in person that you have been accepted for the position of Potions."

"What? I applied for defence against the dark arts."

"You start next year."

"Fine," I muttered, stalking out of his office, remembering I forgot Estrella I rushed back picked her up and speed-walked back out, avoiding further eye contact.

A/n okay yeah I'm rewriting because I hate how it turned out like the ideas were all over the place and my writing was mediocre so if you've already read the book, the chapters with a star beside the title are re-written.

Word count: 1146