𝐭𝐞𝐧

we like to think that we are rational beings; humane, conscientious, civilized, thoughtful

we like to think that we are rational beings; humane, conscientious, civilized, thoughtful. but when things fall apart, even just a little, it becomes clear we're no better than animals. we have opposable thumbs, we think, we walk erect, we speak, we dream, but deep down we're all still rooting around in the primordial ooze; biting, clawing, scratching out an existence in the cold, dark world like the rest of the tree-toads and sloths.

anastasia had been living at the hospital for the past two weeks because of a resident contest. spending every waking moment working and the high was starting to ware off and she wasn't sure how much longer she would last.

she was stood talking to Mark about a patient that she had some inquiries about while he filled out some charts while sipping some coffee she had brought her attending when she saw derek and rose walking towards them.

"i'll talk to you later." derek said lowly to rose as she walked on ahead when he stopped beside his friend and sister. "bye."

"good morning." he greeted mark and ana and then thanked one of the nurses when she handed him his charts.

"what do you see in her?" mark questioned his friend, taking his eyes of the chart for a moment. "is it the hot sex? is she an animal? is she a bobcat?"

"mark." derek warned and ana grimaced.

"come on. lady on the streets, tramp in the sheets. am i right?"

"talking about my brother's sex life was definitely not how i wanted to start of my morning." ana sighed in disgust.

derek laughed at the uncomfortableness of his youngest sister. "oh, yeah. she's amazing. hot, sweaty, very dirty, hot, sweaty sex."

"you haven't slept with her yet, have you?" mark asked and the smile fell from derek's face.

"she's waiting until we're serious. she has morals. she's a lady." derek told him. "besides, you know what's better than sex?"

"what?" mark questioned.

"anticipation. anticipation, my friend." and with that he left the two alone.

☤☤☤

anastasia stood in the ambulance bay with the other four residents, waiting for the incoming trauma, she pulled on her gloves.

"who's winning?" she asked alex, referring to the contest as he counted up the points.

"yang." he responded.

"surprised?" cristina replied smugly.

"what? let me see." izzie demanded as she pulled alex closer so she could see the notepad he was holding then she let out a gasp. "i'm twenty-six points behind? that's not possible. count again. what about all the surgeries?"