gabe + wesley

w e s l e y *
warning: this oneshot includes difficult topics including childhood cancer and death. this is NOT based on true events. 

"Hey, how's it going?" I ask Gabe as he slides in the booth beside me.
He shakes his head.
"You wanna talk about it?"
He bites his lip and shakes his head yes this time. 
"Come here," I whisper softly, taking his hand and pulling him from the booth, not caring or giving our friends an explanation. We walk out to my car and get in.
"What's going on?" I ask. 
"She was doing really good!" he says brightly. "But then, last night she started puking a ton, she could hardly breathe. We rushed to the ER and they got her some medication and an IV, they ran some tests. We haven't heard anything yet."
"I'm so sorry, Gabe," I say quietly. You're probably questioning who we're talking about. We're talking about Gabe's oldest brother, Ricky's oldest daughter, Maia. Maia is 10 and a half and is facing Leukemia.
Gabe's phone rings.
"Hello?" he says, looking at me and biting his lip nervously. He absentmindedly grasps my hand and starts playing with my fingers. "Nothing much, just sitting here with Wes. Why?" He drops my hand and gets out of the car to continue the phone call.
"I've gotta go," he says when he gets back in the car. "Maia is having some difficulty and Ricky and Tanya want me there."
"O-ok. Hey, you call me if anything happens, or if you need me. Even if it's two am." I say.
"Okay, I will." He doesn't get out of the car though; he leans over and presses his lips to mine softly.
He gets out of the car and heads to his car. I watch him drive off and then head back into the diner, sliding into the booth and feeling dazed.
"Whoa, what's goin' on, dude?" Kalaia (kuh-lay-uh) says. "How's Maia?"
"She-she's in the hospital again..she couldn't stop vomiting last night," I say, still feeling dazed.
"Are you going to tell me about the kiss then?"
"H-how do you know he kissed me?"
"You walked in here touching your lips and looking dazed...we figured that out,"
"It wasn't-he just said goodbye and then he leaned in and kissed me really quickly, like-like we were-"
"Dating?" Offers Tyrone (hey, I'm Tyrone! ... and we're your backyard friends, The Backyardigans! yes, I immediately thought of this lol)
"Y-yeah."

It's been about two hours since Gabe left when my phone rings and Gabe🌊🤩 flashes across the screen.
"How soon can you be here?" his voice comes through the speaker panicked.
"As soon as you need me. Why? What's going on?" I ask him worriedly.
"I-I think she's dying."
"I'll be there as soon as I can, alright? Just-just hang in there."
I press end call.
"Hey, I've gotta go," I say to my friends and run out of the diner to my car.

I arrive at the hospital a short--or maybe it was long--fifteen minutes later, park hastily and run in the hospital in search of Gabe. I start by going up to the third floor- the children's ward. Gabe comes running towards me. Instead of taking me back to where his family is he leads me down the hall to a (somewhat) private spot.
"Hey look, I know this isn't the time for this, but it can't wait," he says and then he grabs my arms and presses his lips against mine, shoving me back against the wall and we're now somewhat hidden by a partial wall. He moves his hand to cup my face, his other one resting on my chest. His lips feel soft and tender against mine, yet he's kissing me with such force. I tangle my hands in his hair as he pulls himself closer to me. He has yet to let go and I don't want him to. He moves his hand from my chest and tangles it in my hair and bringing it down to rest in the same spot on the other side of my face as his other hand. My hands leave his hair and wrap around his waist. Even though I don't want to, I pull away. He smiles at me softly, tipping my chin and pressing another faint, brief kiss to my lips.
"Wh-what was that about?" I ask. "I mean, I don't mind, but, wow,"
"Earlier I was talking to Maia, and she said don't wait to do something, don't let the fear of doing something keep you from doing it. Wes, I really, really like you, okay. And I really want to be with you. Maybe this wasn't the right thing to do, and maybe it was but now I can say that I did it. Wes, I love you. You're my best friend, you've been my best friend since we were in first grade. But now, I wanna be more if you do."
"Of course I do, Gabe. I really like you too."
"I want you so, so bad, right now Wes,"
"I know, but your family..."
"Can I introduce you to them as my boyfriend now?"
"I wouldn't have it any other way."

We walk back into the waiting room towards Gabe's family. I feel the nerves in the pit of my stomach.
"Hey Wes!" they say.
Gabe looks at me, then his parents, siblings, sister-in-law, niece, and nephew, grandparents, everyone who's here.
"I know you all know Wes," Gabe says softly. "And I know this is probably the worst time to say this, but Wes is my boyfriend."
They all gasp and hug us, telling us congratulations. Then, doctors come pouring out.
"Maia Hughes," one of the head nurses says. "Her body is failing quickly, and she will be dead within two hours. You need to be with her now,"
Gabe and his family all take deep breaths, some beginning to cry and start to follow the nurse but I hang back.
"What are you doing?" Gabe asks me, grasping my hand. "Come with us,"
"This is a family thing," I say.
"You are family. You're the only one I have left to talk about this stuff with," he looks at me and for the first time in a very, very long time, I think I'm about to see him cry.
"Please don't leave me alone now," he says softly. I press my lips to his softly and we start walking towards Maia's room.
Maia, surprisingly, is alert.
"Hey, Maia!" Gabe says. "Guess what?"
"Did you do it? Did you do it?" she asks excitedly.
"I did!"
"What'd he say?"
He raises our hands and she smiles from ear to ear. "I knew it!" she says.
"Mommy," she says suddenly. "I-I don't feel so good,"
"I know baby," Tanya says to her oldest daughter. "I know," tears starting to stream down her cheeks.
"Why is everyone so sad?" Maia asks.
She doesn't understand.
"We-we're saying goodbye, sweetheart," Ricky says, clasping her hand in his.
"Why? Are you leaving? I'm scared, Mommy! Daddy! I-I'm scared! I feel weird! Mommy! Daddy!"
Gabe turns to me suddenly and I see that his lip is quivering.
"I-I can't do this," he says and runs out of the room and over by the window.
I run after him. "Hey, ssh, it's going to be okay, I'm right here," I whisper soothingly, pulling him against me, stroking the back of his head. He starts sobbing loudly, and I feel his body tensing and quivering with every sob. I choke back my own tears. I've gotta stay strong for him.
"Ssh, it's okay baby boy," I whisper.
He sobs louder into my chest. I sniff. He sobs harder and harder, barely breathing between the sobs.
"Ssh, ssh, ssh," I soothe. "Breathe...just breathe..."
"I...don't...want...you...to...leave...me..." he says in short breaths between his sobs.
"Don't worry bubba, I'm not," I whisper.
He looks up at me and I wipe away the falling tears. "I know it's hard, but I'm gonna be here, alright?"
He nods, breathing out another sob.
"I know it's hard baby," I soothe.
His mom comes out to get him; he grabs hold of me and won't go.
"Hey, look at me," I say softly in his ear. "Go, okay? Your family needs you." He shakes his head, years streaming down his face. I put a finger against his lips. He grabs me tightly.
"I can't. I can't. I can't." He repeats, looking up at me with tears streaming down his face. I cup his face in my hands.
"Ssh, it's okay, baby, it's okay," I whisper. "Your family needs you,"
He shakes his head. "No,"
He rests his chin on my chest; I hold his face in my hands.
He leans up and presses his lips against mine softly.
"I love you," he whispers.
"I love you too, baby," I tell him.

He ends up not going. He refuses to let go of me.
"Give my keys to my mom," he says. "I can't drive right now,"
I nod. "Okay, baby," I say softly. I kiss his temple.
I walk over to his mom and hand her his keys, explaining.
"Do you want me to take you home?" I ask him once I reach him again.
He shakes his head. "Take me with you," he whispers.
I nod. "Alright, bubbas," I say. We walk out to my car together, and I help him get in.
I start up my car and pull out of the hospital parking lot. We're halfway down the road when he lets out a sob. I look over at him, and then I pull into an empty parking lot.
"Oh, baby," I whisper. "Ssh, I know it's hard, I know,"
I press my lips to his temple.

It's been a few days now, and Gabe has hardly left my side.
He looks over at me.
"I love you," he whispers.
"I love you too, baby," I tell him. 
He leans up to kiss my lips softly.

Original edit: 1/20/20
I discovered a new song (new to me):
Rude Boy- Rhianna but it's a remix
Re-edit: 6/8/2020