CHAPTER 7 ~ The book

CHAPTER 7

The book

Anne sighed, tucked strands of blonde hair behind her ears and picked up the two books that had been lying on the ground. Her steps were rushed yet extremely quiet and light. She pushed aside the door with her elbow and entered the dimly lit library. The librarian remained silent as usual.

'Hello, I'm here to return some books,' Anne said as she approached the big wooden desk.

'Ah, just leave them right here. I'll take care of them later,' she answered, still flipping through the pages of a catalogue.

Anne was ready to leave when the librarian started talking. 'You know, I haven't seen anyone wander around the library in months. And even then it's mostly teachers looking for more material on some of their subjects. It gets kinda boring here.'

Anne did not know how to handle that confession of hers so she just let it slip. 'What's your name?' she asked the librarian.

'My-my name? Martha. You can call me Mrs. Brown too but ... well, I prefer Martha,' she answer hesitantly and finally raised her eyes to peer into Anne's eyes.

'Poor woman. Who would prefer "Martha"?' Anne wondered but she kept her thoughts to herself. 'I like books. And libraries, well, you may have seen me looking around with my friend,' she said instead.

'Yes, that brunette, right? Books are a great company, indeed,' she added and her face lit up.

'Mrs. Br-erm-Martha, can I ask you a question? It's about one of the books, the one I've kept...'

'Sure. My pleasure to help,' she answered wholeheartedly.

'That book ... It's a big, greenish book, relatively new as it looks ... and handwritten?'

'Yes, yes I know which book you're talking about. Promise to keep a secret-uh- Anne, was it?'

'Anne, yes.' She was surprised by the librarian's words but she refused to stop until she found out her secret. 'I won't tell a soul.' she swore spontaneously and wished the woman's secret wouldn't get her in trouble.

'Good. Then, you must know the book was written by me,' she said

Anne took a moment to digest what she had just heard. 'Wait, why would you do that?' she asked the first thing that came to her mind.

'I knew there would come a day when people, youngsters would start to abandon this hellhole. I had to help in any way possible. But all an old librarian like me can provide is-'

'-books!' Anne finished her sentence.

'Exactly. So, are you and your little friends planning to leave?' she asked.

Anne took a leap of faith and opened up at the concerned woman. 'Yes. We've started a long ago actually. Would you mind if I-we ... if we kept the book?'

'Well. There's a task for you, little Annie. If you can do it, the book is yours to keep.' the librarian said and her wrinkly hands fidgeted under her desk.

Anne suddenly felt uncomfortable. The silence of the room felt threatening and she sensed the air getting colder as the woman's eyes scanned Anne's face. "Annie". She always hated when people called her that. It felt childish and brought back unpleasant memories. Anne swept some sweat off of her forehead. Maybe the librarian, Mrs. Brown, Martha, was not to be trusted after all.

'Anne. My name is Anne,' she bellowed. 'And I don't see why I must complete your task.'

The woman smirked and her eyes gleamed. 'Oh, child. You don't have to follow my task. But I don't have to keep your little plans hidden either,' she answered and Anne's head felt heavy again.