CHAPTER 14 ~ Lucas's truth

CHAPTER 14

Lucas's truth

The seven friends were once again gathered around a big fire pit. They had not moved from next to the lake yet, concerned that the guards were getting close to them. At least they were now out in the open so they could not get ambushed.

Victor heard her approach but did not shift his weight around at all. He was sitting on the edge of the grassy slope, his feet dangling in the mid-air.

Felicity's long strides barely made any sound as she walked over fresh green grass that, in other lighting, resembled the color of her eyes. Her narrow bright eyes had now switched almost magically to the kind of blue the sky was painted in at the moment. Victor took a long look at her. She was beautiful but he knew she was not nearly one of the important people amongst the group.

Felicity did not feel the need to greet him upon her arrival, so she simply sat close to him, their arms touching with the slightest of movements. She sighed, hoping his eyes would meet hers once more.

She studied his clenched jaw line, his long nose and his black eyes. His skin was dark but seemed smooth. Victor was completely different from her, in character and appearance-wise but, to her, he seemed ideal.

She leaned to the side and rested her head to his shoulder without even doubting her moves. He did not flinch and Felicity took that as a good sign. Her heart was beating faster but her body was relaxing and she did not hesitate to close her eyes and drift into a short yet sweet sleep.

***

Sonia found him sitting by the lakeside. She was hoping for a little privacy for her thoughts but she was too lazy to leave the area so she decided to approach him instead.

'Lucas? Would you mind if I sit here for a while?' she asked with a crooked smile that seemed kind of silly on her full lips.

'Came to see the sunset, did you?' he asked. 'You can sit here as long as you want,' he added before vacantly staring across the distance. The sun was about to set and its golden glow made the lake shimmer and switch colors as seconds rushed by. Sonia sat down by him.

'I'm just here to clear my head,' she confessed quietly. 'It's a hard task, you know,' she said jokingly and looked at him but he was still distracted from his own thoughts, still lost inside the sparkling lake. 'At least Lucas understands.' She moved closer to him, their arms brushed together awkwardly. 'How are you holding up?' she asked and looked into his eyes.

'I'll make it,' he answered under a sigh.

Sonia could not help but notice the nostalgia and sorrow in his voice. 'It's okay to miss her,' she reassured him. 'We all do.'

But Lucas was not ready to open the subject so he simple zipped up his sweater. 'It's getting colder. Are you not cold?' he asked, his low voice cracking behind the zipper.

'I'm-I'm good, thanks,' she said. Sonia was sure she was not going to make him admit anything without him wanting to so she gave up on that matter. 'Are we leaving tomorrow morning?'

'Yeah, we need to get moving and we've picked up so much food!' he said, suddenly thrilled by their progress.

'And ... are you sure about where we're headed? I mean, we did leave the school in a rush,' she said and looked down, trying not to betray his trust.

Lucas was overrun by fear and doubt. He could feel his pulse beating close to his neck and as a second passed and Sonia's eyes widened, he could practically feel his throat turn into a big knot causing him to trip onto his own words.