CHAPTER 16 ~ Wrath

CHAPTER 16

Wrath

'There they are!' Victor yelled upon the arrival of Sonia and Carlos, only to receive confused looks from everyone sitting around the fire.

'Sonia? Is something wrong?' Felicity asked after examining the redness of Sonia's eyes for a few seconds.

'I'm fine, thanks,' she mumbled as a response.

'Was it that bad?' Victor asked and looked at her with an irrelevant smirk.

'What are you talking about?' she wondered and turned her head to momentarily look at Carlos.

'I'm saying, the ... kissing part, was it that bad? You obviously did not hide away for so long just to "talk",' he answered in the most arrogant way.

'Excuse me?' Sonia shrieked. 'We didn't-' she tried to mouth.

'Oh, really?' he asked next, making her feel uncomfortable.

'Whatever, Victor,' she said and went next to Anne to sit down but Victor was not ready to give up. 'Kissing. That would be a nice cover up. Just another couple wanting some privacy, that's all.'

'It's okay to admit it, you know. We won't get jealous or anything,' he said, his arrogant smirk refusing to leave his lips.

Sonia turned to look at him with a frown and slightly squinted eyes that sparkled with anger. She walked up to his seat and looked him in the eyes. 'What's your problem?' she asked.

At that moment Victor stood up. He was taller than Sonia had expected and fear forced her to take a step backwards. 'You see, I don't quite like it when people hide things from me,' he whispered and his breath made the little hairs on the back of her neck stand. Sonia knew he was not referring to her and Carlos being a couple or not.

'Hey, stop it,' Pierre jumped in but they both seemed to ignore him.

'And I don't like when arrogant little boys get all up in my business,' she said back, trying to come across as dangerous as him and hide her sudden fear of him.

Then Victor snapped. He could not contain himself anymore. His right hand grabbed her by the neck and as veins popped all over his skin, she gasped for air. Her wide with fear eyes resembled two round muddy puddles and her hands were shaking uncontrollably. The golden gleam in Victor's black eyes made her feel like game in the hunter's hands, helpless and weak. Her mind trailed off to the day a guard had grabbed her neck, threatening to suck the life out of her helpless body.

The children were all taken aback by Victor's actions but as soon as they could think again, both Carlos and Pierre jumped to her rescue. Victor resisted at first but let go in just enough time for Sonia to be able to breathe again. She fell to her back from the shock but she quickly picked herself up and stared as the two boys moved Victor away from the camp. She did not want to look at neither Anne nor Felicity as the first one would be near to tears and the second one barely shocked by what she had witnessed.

Instead, Sonia joined Lucas' side and he gladly agreed to keep her company and keep her mind off of the subject.

But Sonia was filled with hatred shortly after the incident. Her usual thirst for revenge was now making her blood boil and she started running her fingers through her hair nervously, messing it in anger.

'Are you okay?' Lucas asked in a tone of concern.

'No!' Sonia shouted like a little child. She instantly hated herself for being such a drama queen. 'I'm sorry, Lucas. I'll be fine. I'm just angry, that's all,' she added in an apologetic way.