Chapter 027: Entering the Palace

Someone knocked lightly against the door.

I hurriedly turned away, rubbing my face with my sleeves.

Nongyu leaned against the doorframe outside, looking at me. His tone was flippant. "The carriage is already outside with the crown prince waiting in it. When will the beautiful person join him?"

Fang Hua wasn't angry, but swept over him with a light gaze. "Everything's been packed up. I'll go now."

"Yifu..." I tugged at his sleeve, extremely reluctant.

He released himself to scoop up the bundle on the table and gently stepped outside.

From within the carriage, Han Zichuan was just raising the screen when he spotted me. He gave me a long gaze, his eyes filled a reluctance to part and a deeply indescribable, indistinct emotion.

"You have to take care of m-my yifu, you hear me?" I gave him a ferocious stare.

He only smiled at me. All reproductions of this work not on volaretranslations are stolen copies.

My eyes swept over, and settled on Fang Hua again with a tangled expression. He seemed to pause, eyes reluctantly looking over the residence as if he didn't want to leave. Yet he entered the carriage without looking at me.

"We'll be taking our leave," Nongyu sat astride his horse, looking at me thoughtfully. Then he whipped his horse and galloped off in a cloud of dust.

I forced back the tears threatening to leak from my eyes. I wanted to ask yifu to stay behind, but I could only watch helplessly as the carriage vanished into the distance.

From start to finish... All reproductions of this work not on volaretranslations are stolen copies.

Fang Hua hadn't spared me a single glance.

Neither did he leave me any silver.

I took a long breath, returning to the house covered in dust. I plopped on a chair and scooped up a cup from the table, pouring myself a cup of water. I downed it in one gulp, my heart filled with frustration.

But at the same time, I wanted to laugh.

It was fine if I didn't have silver. Fortunately, I'd buried a sizable secret stash of money that could finally come in hand.

—All reproductions of this work not on volaretranslations are stolen copies.

This Fang Hua.

He thought I'd obediently listen to his words?

What a joke...

The greatest joke in the Heavens! I stuck a hand on my waist and laughed out loud, laughing until I felt a bitter pain.

Fang Hua definitely foresaw that I'd secretly follow after them if he left me any silver. Han Zichuan must have used some way to convince him to go to the palace so docilely.

He was already a handful here. How could Fang Hua follow him so willingly to court?

Even though I had no idea what the palace was like, I'd heard enough from the storytellers on my trips to the marketplace. The current old man emperor was immoderately licentious, frequently raising taxes that forced the people into poverty. This I knew very well. I remember when I was a beggar, it was even common to see people eating other people.

I poured myself more water while thinking things over.

One hand rested on my forehead, my eyebrows knitted, fingers poking my skin...