Chaoter 056

Fang Hua's body grew worse and worse by the day.

He was nothing like the peerless Fang Hua of before because his wasting illness had completely eaten away at his body. He refused to look into the mirror, but remained huddled up in his room, coughing. His days of stepping out for exercise grew fewer and fewer, and he got into the habit of staring at First's back instead, spacing out.

I knew he was recalling his past self.

...he was once an elegant, free-and-easy young gentleman.

I couldn't bear to see his expression every time he stared after First. The gloominess in the set of his eyebrows as he thought of former times, the eyelashes that covered eyes that grew darker and darker as time wore on...only pained me with each passing day. First was an intelligent man and must have noticed as well. One day he approached me to respectfully take his leave, mildly commenting that it'd been some time since they'd left the house and it'd be good to go back and take care of some matters. I didn't urge him to stay, but he seemed to have expected that, and smiled as he took away the rest of the princes as well. Only Second stayed to help me with his medical knowledge.

Third and Sixth were obviously displeased, one yelling all the way while the other clutched at my robes for ages until he was pulled away. With fewer people in the house, the stillness of the place returned. The rooms were empty, so I had more time to take care of Fang Hua, devoting all my attention to look after him. He treated me both coldly and with biting sarcasm until in the end, he stopped acknowledging me altogether.

The tea wasn't hot enough, it didn't taste as good as the one Han Zichuan made, his robes were too warm, the fabric was too thick and hurt when it rubbed against his skin.

He should know. When it was just the three of us living in this house, I took care of his food and clothing without any input from him. Han Zichuan only delivered these things to him on occasion. He could fuss and complain and ignore me. It didn't matter how he treated me...as long as he was well...

But even like this, he grew weaker every day, and the teardrop shaped mole by his eye had turned as dark as dark could be. In the face of everything happening before me, I could only feel frustration and a growing sense of trepidation. I'd read through all the books in the house multiple times. Besides that one piece of silk, there were no other records of the Fang Hua Beast, but even that silk didn't elaborate enough on the details...

Was there no choice but to watch him die? Who could tell me how to save his life?

I leaned against the door as my body slowly sank to the floor, crying soundless sobs. I'd never felt so useless as if...I was drowning in grief. A pair of hands settled on my shoulders. Surprised, I hurriedly wiped my eyes with my sleeves.

"Is it yifu? If there's anything you want...I'll prepare it immediately."

"Master?" Second bent down to peer at me anxiously. I pulled my lips into a smile-a very forced smile. How could I forget that Fang Hua was too sick to leave his bed now?

"How is Fang Hua doing?"

Second slowly shook his head as he looked at me. He was about to speak, but visibly hesitated. It was a long while before he spoke again. "Master, I think it's best if you go see Lord Hua."

"It couldn't be..." My eyes grew wide as I unintentionally betrayed my panic.

"He said..." Second loosened his hold on me, not daring to meet my eyes. His voice was very soft. "...he wanted to see you."

There was a roaring in my head as I stiffly pushed him aside, rushing past in a flurry of windswept robes to push open a door...and slow my stops. A few days had passed, but he was still lying on the bed in the exact same position, unmoving. I walked over, parting the brocade covers to grasp his hand. Fang Hua's complexion was terrible, but he managed a smile. It was already late autumn and very cold. His fingers weren't warm at all... I was terrified that he was going to leave me like this.