All on the line

Luciano smiled as the sound of his snapping fingers echoed the room. Oliver was then moving ever so slightly, whispering words in a language none of them knew. Then he motioned his hand as if he was grabbing something, and tugged downwards. All eyes shifted to the mirror as it rippled again.

And as Australia walked out of it.

But people's thoughts spun like a spinning-top from confusion, to anger, to concern, to a swirl of all three; when they saw that he was gagged. And being restrained, with his arms behind his back, by a creature made of shadow and darkness. Australia was a strong-minded young man, but the look of fear in his eyes called out a cry into the void in England's chest as the two nations locked eyes. The look lasted only a second, maybe even less, but that silent cry of fear reverberated over and over again in Arthur's ears.

Australia resumed his usual tough and fearless expression directly after, but the cry of fear only sounded lounder when others followed Australia out of the mirror. The nation of Prussia walked with a tight and reluctant gait out of the mirror next, appearing to attempt to bite and rip the gag in his mouth. Ludwig took half a step forward at the sight of his brother.

"Gilbert..." escaped his lips, and his hand tightened on the gun he had pointed, but its aim wavered. Gilbert did not meet his German brother's eyes, but dipped his head ever so slightly, cracking the confident air he still managed to wear around him.

Then out walked New Zealand, and the cry of pain turned to a yell in England's chest at the look of fear in the nation's face. At the sight of his younger brother, Australia writhed in the arms of his shadowy captor, and he let out real cries, yelling at his younger brother in warning and alarm. Australia struggled, and Oliver sniffed, and flicked his index finger out. The shadow figure restraining Australia twisted the nation's wrist up painfully behind him, then turned to his side slightly, and kneed him crudely in the stomach. Australia grunted in pain and doubled over, only to be forced to stand straight up again. Coughing and retching into his gag, he rammed his eyes shut so nobody would see the pain in his eyes, as his forehead beaded with sweat. Gilbert and New Zealand began to lash out, but their wrists were also twisted up painfully behind their back in a warning, and they stood still, seething.

The others in the room, they were most surprised at Arthur. He remained exactly where he was, not moving an inch, gripping his knives so tightly that his knuckles were white. But he said and did nothing, only stared with a fierce loathing into Oliver's lapis eyes; the green peridot of his own reflecting in them.

Luciano broke the silence. "Hmm, England. I wonder how many it will be before you comply." Then he laughed a short laugh, one with no warmth or emotion; nothing like the laugh 1p Italy, Feliciano, gave. A laugh like a summers day in a field of flowers, Ludwig would think.

Another walked from the mirror. Arthur broke his stare for only a second to look at who it was, but that one second he instantly regretted. Canada walked through, and he wasn't wearing his glasses, so although he composed himself with a calm and strength, his eyes shone in a misty fear.

Alfred, the usually loud, outstanding, optimistic, and ready-to-take-anything American, stood speechless at the sight of his brother. Francis clasped a hand over his mouth. He had been like a father to Canada before England.

"Mon petit Mathieu..." he whispered, but loudly enough for those in the near silent room to hear.

Arthur flinched. Oliver smiled at the British man who stared at Canada, not wanting to turn his head and see the destroyed look on his old friend's face. Hardly able to see, Mathew whipped his head around to where he thought the sound had come from, and made a small sound from behind his gag.

The noise sounded so weak, a small part of everyone shattered along with it. From the beginning, the other nations looked toward England for what to do, seeing as he seemed to know the 2ps, and roughly his way around the situation. The only reason they hadn't attacked was because he hadn't, and if the prideful nation was hesitant, they followed him with things that they knew they had less knowledge on. The nations looked for him for orders, guidance, a reaction or signal again now; but Arthur only grit his teeth and started at Oliver, his green eyes alive with fire, and burning with a loathing unseen before by the other nations. Nations were glad not to be receiving that stare.

All other than Arthur looked up again as the mirror rippled once more. They then realized Luciano's aim when Hong Kong stepped through.

His aim was to break England.

Yao lunged forward to Hong Kong, his little Jia. Yao almost spilled out in a flood of Chinese, Hong Kong's name on his lips. But a single glare from Jia silenced him, along with a heavy hand on his shoulder. Jia's face was expressionless, but his eyes told him everything.

Say nothing. And do not worry for me. This is not our problem to solve or to face.

Then Jia's eyes flicked down to Arthur. Yao felt a flicker of jealousy toward the British nation. Hong Kong was a city in China, but after Arthur took him from Yao, they had grown so close, and England had really been the one that had let him grow. Yao sometimes felt as if Hong Kong looked toward the strong nation too much, and was worried that he only saw China as a shackle.

But he understood what he needed to do right now, and erased any jealousy, looking downwards and stepping backwards. But a strong hand squeezed his shoulder. Yao looked up to Ivan, Russia, standing behind him, looking back into his brown eyes. Ivan nodded slightly. China took a deep breath, nodding back, and then leaning slightly on the powerful nation behind him. No words, communication was passed between them, yet both understood the other. A small nod. You can get through it. I know you are strong. Focus on the now.

Arthur did not need to break his stare to know it was Hong Kong. His heart wrenched at the thought of it. He never seemed to be there for Jia when he needed it. And yet, he knew that the young city had confidence in the old nation. So Arthur did not break his stare at Oliver, with Jai's support at his side.

Another stepped out. A glare was met with a distinctive curl in his hair. His thin stature, and the way his arrogant gait made his soft brown hair bounce on his head ever so slightly. It was then that Spain finally cracked.

"Romano!" he yelled, bounding toward him. Nobody reacted fast enough to grab him, hold him back, call a warning, as he reached for South Italy. Nor did anyone want to, at the tears that welled in his eyes, and the fearful anger that the Spaniard radiated. He stretched one hand out, and pulled the other down in a fist.

Two feet from an astounded South Italy, he was stopped.

Arthur stood suddenly in front of him, hands against his shoulders. Spain stopped short, shocked. Then moved to go forward again, only to realize that his grip was very strong.

"Let me go Arthur, this is enough! I refuse to just stand and watch as-"

Arthur then pulled him close, so that the man was looking directly over his shoulder, right in front of Oliver, Luciano. Right in front of Romano.

"Antonio." Arthur said into his ear, his hands gripping even tighter for a few seconds. "Stop."

Antonio, Spain, looked only at Romano after hearing Arthur's simple words. They locked eyes, the different shades of golden brown of Romano's mingling with the spring green of Antonio's. Romano shook his head, never once breaking their stare. His expression was not angry, worried, scared, or rude in any way. Sincere.

"Roma..." he breathed. Tears welled over Antonio's cheeks as Arthur pushed him off and others took a light hold on him, back in the crowd.

Arthur turned back to Luciano and Oliver, looking at them with both hatred and sadness, and returned the knives to his palms.

"Anything else you have to offer?" he said quietly.

Luciano turned his back to everyone and put his hand through the mirror.

"Oh you know," he said. Arthur tensed at the playful malice in his voice. "Just a small thing."

He turned around to face them again with a grin on his face, and one hand wrapped around little Sealand's neck.